Project Management Assistant (4722C) 19456
Project Management Assistant (4722C) 19456 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 22, 2021
Capital Projects is accountable for managing the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and for leadership in the physical environmental stewardship of the campus. The CIP embraces the values of design excellence, environmental responsibility and professional accountability and encompasses a wide variety of projects, including renovations, expansions, new facilities and infrastructure, as well as landscape projects.
- Provide administrative and clerical support with a focus on customer service to up to 10-15 Project Managers (PMs). This may include working at jobsite field offices. Prepare Mini Construction Form documents, upload files from the PMs to the Unifier Document Management system. Create jobsite required signage. Responsible to prepare jobsite meeting minutes accurately and concisely to ensure that the contractor and subcontractor are held responsible in accordance with the specifications and schedule. Responsible for scheduling interviews with architects and contractors and to prepare acceptance and rejection letters. Comply with departmental and UC policies and procedures. Prepares correspondence and other written materials for department management and/or faculty requiring some specialized knowledge of the subject matter. Edits and proofreads written materials for content consistency.
- Coordinates large, complex project conferences/meetings/programs for capital projects of critical importance to campus. These may include high level participants from various campus academic units, the Chancellor's office, architects, and contractors.
- The position is also responsible for the handling of telephone calls and visitors both at the departmental office and at jobsites, processing and distributing mail, ordering plans and producing copies, making travel arrangements, filing, ordering office supplies, and processing University forms. Provides guidance to other staff on procedures, practices, and implementation of policies, including those which are particularly complex. These responsibilities are shared among all of the Administrative Assistants.
- Applies somewhat complex spreadsheet formulas, pivot tables, and similar functions. Compiles and arrays spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations using subject-matter knowledge of the material to ensure data results are consistent with the nature of the data. May analyze trends.
- Applies specialized office software, including the project management financial system platform, Unifier. Submits construction contracts and requests for Goods. Also responsible for closing open purchase order balances. Provides user Quick Reference Cards to other Assistants on office software program application.
- Special Projects. Each Administrative Assistant III position has special projects ranging from plan orders, to technical expertise in setting up the A/V equipment, and video conferencing. Determines need for general office equipment and supplies, including jobsite offices on occasion.
- Works on sensitive issues, priorities, protocol, et cetera. Collaborate with other business units on campus, i.e., P & T and prepare IOCs as may be necessary. Use other campus systems, i.e., Facilities Services Maximo to look up construction project work orders and charges.
- Works with department management to update/review/revise/maintain Reach digital signage platform to better communicate organization's mission, requiring substantive knowledge of organization's goals and objectives. Collaborates with Project Managers for display of project information, awards, and photographs.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing, with proven ability to translate complex concepts. Requires active listening, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills. Experience interacting with a variety of people in situations requiring sensitivity, judgment and fact.
- Related experience in a construction, architectural, engineering, or project management office setting with familiarity of construction vocabulary, terminology and project schedules.
- Ability to analyze and prioritize work and determine appropriate courses of action, demonstrated problem-solving and research skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- Thorough knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, powerpoint, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Knowledge and awareness of UC policies and procedures, guidelines, standards of operations and their appropriate application and/or equivalent knowledge/experience.
- Requires interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other nonexempt personnel and student assistants.
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly (non-exempt) position. Rate will be commensurate with experience (stepped rates).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19456&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency