Associate University Minister
Associate University Minister; Mission and Ministry
Posting # 3638
The Office of Mission coordinates the university-wide effort to sustain and enhance the distinctive mission of USD as a Catholic university. The office serves as a resource for all those interested in acquiring a fuller appreciation of the richness and relevance of our history, mission and core values.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity's urgent challenges.
In collaboration with the University Ministry Team, the Associate University Minister is responsible for outreach and ministry to USD undergraduate and graduate students and the provision of pastoral care which reflects and fosters the Catholic mission and identity of the university. The incumbent is responsible for collaborating with the University Ministry Team and colleagues across campus to implement faith formation programs, facilitate service experiences, foster the spiritual enrichment of university community members, and promote ecumenical outreach.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• In collaboration with the University Ministry Team, assist with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of retreats and other reflective activities and programs.
• Assist with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of service and social justice events; facilitate reflection programs and activities designed to maximize the impact of those events and which incorporate the principles of Catholic Social Thought.
• In collaboration with the University Ministry Team, assist with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of faith formation activities including formal Sacramental preparation programs as well as creative and developmentally appropriate catechetical programs.
• In collaboration with the University Ministry Team, assist with the planning and facilitation of a variety of liturgical celebrations, including the weekly Sunday evening liturgies, regularly occurring University-wide liturgies, as well as liturgies and periods of prayer which are a component of retreats, immersion experiences, or other programs.
• Utilize social media and other emerging technologies to assist and support evanalegization efforts and invite students to participate in University Ministry events.
• Advise, counsel and mentor students; be available for pastoral care and spiritual companioning.
• Serve on University Ministry committees and task forces; collaborate with other UM staff on other programs; serve on university committees as assigned.
• Practicing Roman Catholic with demonstrated familiarity with ministry in a university, ecumenical and interfaith context.
• Masters of Divinity Degree or a Master of Arts Degree in a closely related field or the equivalent experience.
• Two (2) years of Campus Ministry experience -- either as a participant, student leader, or in a professional role -- at a Catholic college or university, Newman Center or related setting, or five (5) years of ministry experience in other, related areas.
• At least two (2) years of professional Campus Ministry experience in a university setting.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Rigorous theological education and ability to communicate theological, catechetical, and spiritual concepts to undergraduate and graduate students.
• Ability to collaborate effectively and creatively as a member of a team.
• Sufficient initiative and confidence to work individually.
• Demonstrated proficiency with facilitating group discussions, group reflections, and faith sharing group activities.
• Skill in planning and coordinating retreat programs and other reflection activities.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, coordinate, mentor, and support teams of student leaders.
• Extensive experience in designing and implementing service and justice experiences that lead students to theological reflection and vocational discernment.
• Skill in creating and delivering spiritual growth activities for undergraduate and graduate students.
• Extensive knowledge of Catholic faith and practice.
• Ability to communicate the Catholic faith through formal programs and informal relational settings.
• Thorough knowledge of student development issues.
• Ability to support and guide students in issues related to the integration of their faith.
• Excellent organizational skills.
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Ability to communicate in Spanish
• Valid driver's license and ability to drive University vehicles
Special Conditions of Employment:
• This is an eleven (11) month position.
Tools & Equipment Used:
• Personal Computer, Fax machine, Telephone, Copier, Printer, University-owned vehicles.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Note: This is a 11 month position that is paid over 12 months.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/494531/associate-university-minister to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency