Assistant Director of Operations for Banquets and Catering
Assistant Director of Operations for Banquets and Catering; Banquets and Catering
Posting # 3442
USD Catering is proud to be the university's exclusive caterer. Their nationally recognized, award-winning program delivers excellence and quality. Whether a function is a continental breakfast for fifteen, a gala dinner for a thousand, or anything in between, they will deliver a caliber of food and service that is sure to please.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity's urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission driven, faith-based institution. The role of the Assistant Director of Operations for Banquets and Catering in working with the campus community and responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university's contemporary Roman Catholic mission.
The Assistant Director of Operations is responsible for coordination and execution of the functional operation of the Banquets and Catering Department. The Assistant Director is responsible for the training, coordination and evaluation of full-time and part-time office and service staff. Oversees the daily execution of catered events. Assures quality customer service and customer satisfaction. Assistant Director will assist in the development of departmental goals. In the absence of the Director assumes complete responsibility for the Banquets and Catering Department
Duties & Responsibilities:
CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND MARKETING
• Ensures prompt, friendly customer service.
• Coordinates responsibilities for the smooth operations of all catered events.
• Ensures an environment of customer awareness by staff.
• Assists in the positive development of public relations between the Banquets and Catering Department, other Dining Services areas and the campus community.
• Coordinates and communicates special needs of customers with special events, facilities management and appropriate facility staff to assure customer satisfaction.
• Provides general oversight for service and clean-up of catered events to assure quality of product and service with direct oversight as appropriate.
• Assists in marketing the Catering Department to include food display, proper serving techniques, and total appearance of all events.
• Assures that high quality standards are maintained throughout the course of daily events, including food quality, room appearance and safety and sanitation standards.
• Proposes par levels to maintain adequate equipment inventory levels.
• Maintains daily communication with appropriate staff to adjust production according to changes in guarantees.
• Ensures products are made to specification including appearance, cooking, and taste.
• Assists in the ongoing review and upgrading of services, product, and menus.
• Oversees the coordination and ordering of supplies and small equipment for the catering department.
• Oversees the efficient use of space for storage of equipment, décor, and supplies.
• Oversees the control of food and supply costs through training and oversight of employees.
• Responsible for the ordering and inventory of beer and wine for catered events.
• Assists in the development of proper serving techniques.
• Staffs events to meet projected sales and/or customer counts.
• Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and control use of labor through effective scheduling, proper training, and supervision.
• Responsible for scheduling part-time and full-time staff.
• Identifies deviations from desired financial results and develops and executes corrective action plans.
• Analyzes operational situations such as staff and product shortages, equipment failures or other problems, provides timely solutions to problems.
• Processes the proper monthly billing of all departmental charges.
• Responsible for the security of all Banquets and Catering areas, including equipment under Manager's direct control.
• Assists in the evaluation, development, and implementations of proper policies and procedures for the Catering Department.
• In conjunction with the Dining Services Administration, evaluates, develops and implements polices and procedures for the Dining Services Department.
• Assists with establishing and maintaining goals for Banquets and Catering and in conjunction with the Director, assists in setting goals for the Dining Services Department.
• Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate to meet operational goals and objectives
SAFETY AND SANITATION
• Knows and administers the Dining Services Illness and Injury Prevention Program.
• Organizes all catering areas to ensure ease of operation.
• Insures cleanliness and sanitation for all catering areas.
• Conducts preventative maintenance inspections and insures that routine maintenance is performed.
• Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques. Verifies employee sanitation certification as well as Hazmat training.
• Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
• Assigns cleaning schedules for full-time and part-time employees for non-kitchen areas.
• Assists in scheduling major clean up during shut down periods.
• Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures.
• Reviews facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading.
• Has general oversight responsibility for proper use, cleaning, return and storage of linen and equipment with direct oversight as deemed appropriate.
• Assures compliance with Dining Services policies and procedures.
• Assists in developing full-time and part-time job descriptions.
• Responds to employee complaints.
• Promotes teamwork among leaders and staff.
• Develops and maintains communication with staff.
• Develops and implements programs for employee recognition.
• Maximizes recruiting efforts for the selection of employees to ensure adequate staffing levels.
• Recommends employees for promotion.
• Insures that Human Resources paperwork is completed in a timely manner for Part-time employees.
• Responsible for calculating and processing the bi-weekly payroll for full-time and part-time staff.
• Ensures that new employee orientation is completed.
• Teaches employees non-negotiable standards of performance.
• Develops and conducts full-time individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements. Ensures ongoing part-time staff training.
• Informs employees of policy and procedure changes.
• Sets a positive example for employees.
• Formulates and adjusts full-time and part-time staff schedules to maximize personnel.
• Supervises employees during events.
• Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance.
• Provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance.
• Responsible for conducting formal performance reviews on a timely basis.
• Bachelor's degree in food management, hospitality or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience to match educational requirement on a year for year basis.
• At least four years of Catering experience, preferably in an Institutional environment.
• At least two years of supervisory experience in a high volume catering environment.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated responsible management and supervisory experience in a commercial or university catering department.
• Proven problem solving ability. Ability to define and propose and implement effective solutions.
• Demonstrated commitment to high quality standards in food procurement, production and services.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a strong, service-oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
• Proven skills in staff organization, workflow, use of controls and personnel management. Ability to effectively delegate responsibility.
• Ability to prioritize assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
• Good time management skills.
• Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to direct, motivate and counsel staff.
• Strong public relations skills. Able to work with multiple functions. Ability to work with and cooperate with a variety of people in a helpful manner. General knowledge of marketing and merchandizing techniques.
• General knowledge of accounting procedures, including costing and pricing menu items.
• General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures.
• General knowledge of inventory techniques.
• Ability to function effectively in a university environment.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating initiative and creativity.
• Proven knowledge of table service styles and setups for catered events.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
• Must complete ServSafe Food Safety Certification Class.
• Must complete University's hazard communication program.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
• May be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate intersession and summer conference business.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer and relevant software. Knowledge of kitchen equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Posting Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
Special Application Instructions:
Visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/494468/assistant-director-of-operations-for-banquets-and-catering to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 37.5 Must be flexible and work weekends.
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency