Senior Assistant Counsel - CU Anschutz
University Counsel has a dual report to the Board of Regents and the President of the University and includes several legal functions that provide an array of services to the University of Colorado system. The Office of the University Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Regents, the president, system administration and the campuses.
The Senior Assistant Counsel is a member of the professional staff of the Office of University Counsel, which provides legal research, analysis and legal services to the Chancellor and the administration of the Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses. This position will be based at the Anschutz Medical Campus but will work on matters from both campuses.The individual in this position: (1) possesses advanced knowledge associated with the professional practice of law; (2) performs associated duties that are predominantly intellectual and varied in nature, requiring creative, analytical, evaluative, interpretive, and/or critical thinking; and (3) exercises discretion and independent judgment, requiring only general supervision for day-to-day tasks.The Senior Assistant Counsel functions with minimal supervision but works as part of a team to represent and advise the Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses and its administration. The Office of University Counsel prides itself on timely and excellent advice and assistance. The team works closely together, and the work is fast paced. The successful candidate must be able to recognize issues, propose possible resolution, follow-up, solve problems and work collaboratively in a team environment. This security-sensitive position requires a criminal background check for initial appointments, or at any time when determined by the position’s supervisory authority to be in the best interests of the University. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is exempt from the state personnel system based upon its professional level duties and reporting relationship to an officer of the administration (principle professional subordinate) (see C.R.S. § 24-50-135(1)(a)).This position reports to the Senior Managing Associate in the Office of University Counsel for the Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff System.The person hired into this position may be eligible for a promotional opportunity after the first year to Associate Counsel. Candidates must meet preferred years of experience for automatic promotion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Receive and review inquiries from administrators and campus departments regarding matters related to sponsored programs, human and animal research, research agreements, research misconduct, clinical trials, faculty start-ups, export control, conflict of interest, and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, including good manufacturing practices.
- Regularly advise departments across the campus on matters related to domestic and international privacy regulations, including but not limited to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Assist with data breach assessment and response as needed.
- Provide risk assessments and risk mitigation recommendations when appropriate.
- Serve as the primary liaison with legal offices of campus affiliate hospital partners to enable research activities taking place at or using resources from those partner facilities.
- Assist University personnel with maintaining compliance with University policies, state and federal law, and government regulations pertaining to areas of regulatory compliance.
- Provide training for University personnel and recommend policies and procedures to University departments on emerging issues in research and privacy laws impacting campus operations.
- Assist in the drafting and review of contracts, agreements, and other legal documents, including but not limited to data use and data processing agreements.
- Assist in the drafting and review of campus policies and guidelines necessary for the campus to achieve compliance with state and federal law, as well as support campus operations.
- Serve as Counsel to University committees as the designee of University Counsel.
- Collaborate with faculty practice plan and physician clinical leadership on issues related to telehealth compliance, including but not limited to out of state licensing requirements, reimbursement issues, and prescribing medications across state lines.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Working knowledge of compliance issues related to telehealth/telemedicine.
- Knowledge of case law and Colorado state and federal laws and regulations concerning academic medical centers.
- Knowledge of Colorado state and federal laws and regulations concerning higher education institutions.
- Oral, written, and listening communication skills, including the ability to accurately interpret what others are saying and convey messages, information, concepts, and details clearly.
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate interaction, communication, and teamwork between others.
- Personable and collaborative, with significant interpersonal skills necessary to work in a complex decentralized environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and initiatives, in some cases with short timeframes for response.
- Ability to analyze, organize, and effectively present, both orally and in writing, legal issues, opinions and recommendations to a variety of constituents.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and demonstrate flexibility to accommodate shifting priorities of multiple constituents.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a variety of internal constituents and external contacts in the provision of comprehensive legal services to the University.
Please ensure your resume includes any and all relevant experience to be accurately assessed against these qualifications. You must meet all minimum requirements listed at the time of application to be considered for this role.Minimum Requirements:
- Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school.
- Six (6) years’ experience practicing law.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado or the ability to obtain a Colorado license promptly after an offer of appointment.
- Record of ethical behavior and respect for the laws.
- Professional practice of law in a higher education or healthcare law, preferably at a research-focused academic medical center.
- Experience working with compliance issues related to telehealth/telemedicine.
- Experience in compliance areas impacting higher education, specifically related to data privacy and research administration.
- Professional experience in a dynamic, collegial, team-oriented environment.
- Professional practice advising public entities or complex organizations.
Job Category: Audit and Legal
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Jun 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing