Animal Operations Specialist
Job Title: Animal Operations Specialist
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 228464
Should be able to obtain ALAT or higher AALAS certification within one year of start date.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong communication skills.
- Working knowledge of databases, operating systems, and spreadsheets.
- Create, execute and manage a comprehensive didactic and practical training program for DLAS staff to ensure regulatory and accreditor compliance. Training topics will include, but are not limited to, the use of microisolator technique, animal handling and restraint, working procedures in ABSL 1 and ABSL 2 facilities.
- Work with other Augusta University units to ensure interdepartmental trainings provided to DLAS staff are applicable and information is accurate as they relate to DLAS policies, IACUC policies, and general animal welfare and associated regulations.
- Provide assistance with research staff training, administrative, and veterinary staff projects if necessary.
- Implement and manage an in-house curriculum for AALAS certifications for DLAS staff at ALAT, LAT, and LATG levels. Manage AALAS Learning Library Membership.
- Organize and run monthly staff meetings. Create, edit, and present required training materials. Organize and run staff recognition program including internal Staff Engagement Committee. Coordinate internal communications and dissemination of information.
- Design and apply assessment tools to measure quality of work in the animal facility.
- Maintain all DLAS staff training records within the current database software and other software/physical files as deemed necessary.
- Create and disseminate DLAS Standard Operating Procedures. Coordinate SOP revision and applicable training with veterinary and supervisory staff.
- All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.