Senior Accounting Specialist
Job Title: Senior Accounting Specialist
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 49000
Controller's Office | Student Business Services | Financial Aid AccountingEqual Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
- Supervises the University's federal, state, and institutional financial aid accounting and reconciliation functions. Performs complex accounting reconciliations and directs accounting staff. Interprets regulations and develops policies and procedures to ensure compliance.Provides day-to-day guidance and coordination of the University's federal, state, and institutional financial aid accounting and assists the Financial Aid Accounting Assistant Controller in the reconciliation functions. Oversees staff in completion of financial aid depositing, reconciling, and monitoring functions to ensure compliance with federal and University requirements. Reviews staff work products for accuracy and completeness. Coordinates and provides staff training on duties, rules, and regulations. Supervises and oversees two Accounting Specialists.Prepares monthly reconciliations of assigned financial aid accounts. Researches and analyzes detected differences and pursues necessary corrections. Maintains all supporting documentation pertaining to aid account reconciliations. Ensures escheated federal funds checks are researched, the appropriate communications occur, and processing of funds to be returned is completed within federal regulation. Monitors aid expense budgets and communicates budget needs to management. Prepares transfer journal entries as needed. Assists the Financial Aid Accounting Assistant Controller with auditor requests and responds to requests for additional financial item types and assists in creating them in the MyFSU subsystem. Other duties as assigned to support Assistant Controller.Works closely with the Financial Aid Accounting Assistant Controller on the completion of periodic reporting requirements, including those for management, annual financial statements, Board of Governors, and other State or Federal reports as needed and serves as primary reviewer and backup for all reporting submissions. Communicates with other University departments and offices as needed.Reviews, interprets, and assists in training of staff in federal, state, and University regulations and assists Assistant Controller in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for Financial Aid Accounting.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and four years of experience or a Master’s degree in Accounting and two years of experience.
- Experience performing analysis of financial transactions and financial reconciliations.
- Experience verifying information for accuracy.
- Experience manipulating data in Excel.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail oriented environment.
- Ability to work well in a team environment ensuring that good working relationships are maintained.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.