Food Service Specialist - 9mth
UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Posting Title:
Food Service Specialist - 9mthDepartment:
DentonFull Time/Part Time:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceDepartment Summary:
It’s About the Food. As the largest self-supported food service department in North Texas, UNT Dining Services offers 5 Dining Halls, 20+ retail venues, an upscale dining restaurant, hydroponic garden, central scratch bakery and catering service—all led by professionally-trained chefs and hospitality experts. UNT is recognized as a national leader in university dining due to the department’s innovative, trendsetting approach to food service and award-winning culinary talent. UNT operates Mean Greens Café, the nation’s first 100% vegan collegiate Dining Hall, and also Kitchen West, Texas’ first and only university Dining Hall Certified Free From™ the Big 8 Food Allergens and Gluten by Kitchens with Confidence. In early 2021, UNT will open its first standalone Dining Hall, Eagle Landing, inspired by urban food halls and home to seven unique restaurant concepts, all available for a single Meal Plan swipe. UNT was named No. 2 in the nation as a college with the best food by Delish.com, and is also the recipient of the prestigious Loyal E. Horton Award and Vegan Recipe Award from the National Association of College and University Food Services. As a founding member of the Menus of Change University Research Collaborative, UNT contributes to groundbreaking research on plant-forward diets, food waste reduction and consumer food choices while accelerating the implementation of the Menus of Change Principles of Healthy, Sustainable Menus.Position Overview:
This position is a line position with supervisory responsibilities. This position may be responsible for performing several job duties in a specific location. This position is required to observe all retail dining policies and procedures. This position will help with the training of new employees and student workers.Minimum Qualifications:
One year experience in institutional or commercial food service.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to maintain records and complete forms accurately.
• Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: collecting cash and making change).
• Knowledge of the care and use of food service equipment and kitchen utensils.
• Knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service and necessary precautionary measures.
• Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
- Retail Food Experience.
- Great work ethics.
- Outgoing personality.
- Eager to excel and grow with our exciting new UNT Union Retail Dining operations.
HOURS VARYDriving University Vehicle:
This is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification Title:
Food Service Specialist - 9mthPhysical Requirements:
Carrying, Cleaning, Climbing, Crawling, Kneeling, Lifting up to 10 pounds, Lifting up to 25 pounds, Lifting up to 50 pounds, Lifting or moving up to 75 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hearo:
1. Employee is timely. Shows up within 5 minutes of scheduled time, ready to work.o:
2. When absent or tardy, calls manager or supervisor at least one hour prior to shift beginning. Helps cover shift when possible.o:
3. Does not have excessive absenteeism in accordance with Food Department policy. More than two absences a semester is considered excessive.o:
4. Employee always wears a clean and neat uniform which includes name tag and skid resistant shoes.o:
5. Exhibits exemplary grooming standards. Consistently used as a model for new hires.o:
1. Monitors and assures quality and availablity of items throughout the meal service.o:
2. Guarantees that all food is handled and served in accordance with HAACP and Food Department guidelines. Monitors equipment and fills out HAACP logs. (ZERO EXCEPTIONS)o:
3. Is highly visible in service area and/or kitchen. Alerts supervisor when taking a break.o:
4. Keeps area stocked with all tools and products necessary to successfully complete their jobs.o:
5. Contributes to the success of the department by using positive statements about the Food Department and coworkers.o:
6. Effectively helps train FSWI and student workers.o:
1. Keeps self motivated and productive.o:
2. Looks for additional responsibilities when not busy. Sets up next shift for success.o:
3. Works smart. Works with supervisor to set up systems to ensure work flow is not interupted when employee is not present.o:
1. Is effective and friendly in communication with team members and customers; is positive and enthusiastic at all times.o:
2. Anticipates, takes ownership, and satisfies customers, fellow team members, and management needs and concerns.o:
3. Displays a positive demeanor with staff and customers alike, each day without exception.o:
4. Exercises discretion in sharing Dining Service information with others. Does not talk negatively about Dining Services or employees.Posting Number:
S1973PQuicklink for Posting: