Faculty/Academic StaffMajor Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat ResourcesDepartment:
Food Laws And Regulations Institute 10002345Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad StaffSalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Faculty, Part Time (1-49.9%), Union
The Institute for Food Laws and Regulations (IFLR) at Michigan State University invites applications for a part-time, fixed-term instructor to teach the online course, FSC 817, Animal Health, World Trade, and Food Safety (OIE) and FSC 852, The Law of the Preventive Controls for Food.
FSC 817 is a graduate-level course that provides an overview of the workings of the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), world animal health issues in world trade, food safety, and disease transmission. The course is taught in the fall semester, and the course starts in the fall 2021 semester (August 16, 2021 to December 31, 2021).
FSC 852 is a graduate-level course that focuses on understanding the human and animal food rules of the Food Safety Modernization Act. The course offers an in-depth look at the major provisions of the rules. The course is taught in the spring semester, and the course starts in the spring semester of 2022 (January 10-May 15, 2022).
The instructor is expected to present an outstanding educational experience for students using a combination of online readings, lectures, exercises, discussions, and assessments. The instructor is also responsible for being available to students to answer questions by course email and in written discussion forums. In addition, the instructor will enter the students' grades through the online course site. This appointment is renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding. The course is taught completely via the Internet using Desire2Learn. Being entirely online, there is no residency requirement for this position.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and deliver recorded course lectures
- Develop reading assignments, exercises, and assessments
- Lead discussion and respond to student questions
- Make continuous course improvements
- Update course materials as needed (syllabus, readings, lectures, exercises, and assessments)
- Grade assignments, quizzes and/or exams, and enter grading records on the course Web site
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -animal science, food safety, food law, a
The successful candidate will minimally possess the following:
- Master’s degree in animal science, food safety, food law, a related discipline, or equivalent
- Expert knowledge and ability to deliver a graduate-level, college course in global animal health, world trade, and food safety, and global food trade law
- Expert knowledge and ability to deliver a graduate-level, college course on the law of the rules for preventive controls for human food and preventive controls for animal food
- Two or more years of relevant online teaching experience contributing toward the candidate’s ability to perform the expected teaching duties
- A strong commitment to student education and well-being
- Excellent communication skills
- An excellent academic record
Desired qualifications for the position are:
- Experience developing and teaching courses
- Skill with online graduate-level education
- Knowledge of best practices in education
- Ability to work independently with little direction
- D.V.M. degree or Ph.D. or degree in animal science, food safety, or related discipline
Required Application Materials
To apply, qualified applicants must submit an application at the MSU Human Resources website at https://careers.msu.edu (Posting #711833). Applicants must include a: 1) letter of interest; 2) curriculum vitae; 3) statement of teaching philosophy; and 4) names and email addresses for three professional references.
The salary of this position is $7,500.00 per semester. While rare, if there are fewer than 5 students by the first day of the semester, the course will be canceled.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Jun 7, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 6, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time