Job descriptionJob no: 713183
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 05
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Department: Fisheries And Wildlife 10002344
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Pay Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This is a temporary or an on-call position. Provides professional support. Responsibilities may include general business, science, medical, agricultural or other professional support functions. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.Unit Position Summary
Position involves working in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife managing multiple research projects in avian ecology and health and activities at a research center – Corey Marsh Ecological Research Center. Specifically, the selected applicant will oversee research grant budgets; aid in purchasing; contribute to preparation and submission of annual reports to federal and state funding agencies; and assist with summarizing scientific data. The individual will also be responsible for managing personnel calendar, scheduling of meetings, and making travel arrangements for staff for domestic and international meetings. The person will be expected to spend at least ½ day per week working from the field office of the Corey Marsh Ecological Research Center (20 minutes from MSU’s East Lansing campus) to manage onsite activities, office organization, and communication with the public and research staff.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, coordinates, and manages assigned projects, including a large international project.
- Assist with administration of budgets, including monitoring expenditures and budget analysis, to ensure project management is in accord with policies of the sponsor and MSU.
- Creating monthly budget reports
- Assists with hiring and managing lab personnel.
- Coordinates all travel arrangements for domestic and international travel.
- Coordinates the scheduling and overseeing logistics of large team meetings. May involve assisting with the coordination of the logistics and scheduling of active outreach and education programs/events.
- Coordinates and maintains communication among all project participants, both written and oral
- Manages the supply inventory, ordering and purchasing of supplies and equipment and facilitate scheduling of personnel for site repairs and maintenance work on site.
- Assist with development of promotional, educational and outreach materials, including managing website content.
- Assist with preparation of background information for research proposals, oral presentations, and writing/editing research proposals.
- Assist with compiling/summarizing data and relevant literature for reports and technical articles.
- Assist with editing documents and manuscripts for publication.
- Coordinates and prepares project reports for permitting and funding agencies.
- Ensures that all the permits, institutional approvals and trainings are current and manages all renewals and revisions of permits and protocols, including IACUC protocols, state and federal collection and banding permits, special use permits.
Salary range $25.00-$30.00/hr (no benefits)
Location: Work location will vary between the following, with the exact % time expected at each place to be determined once an offer is made.
- MSU Campus in East Lansing, Natural Resources Building
- Corey Marsh Ecological Research Center, Laingsburg, MI (20 minutes northeast of MSU campus)
Knowledge of, experience with, and demonstrated success at project management and/or leadership experience, including organizational skills; setting priorities, developing work schedules, monitoring progress towards goals, and keeping track of multiple details and activities; communication (oral and written). Proficiency in the use of computers for basic accounting, database management, and social media. Experience and willingness to engage with people from a variety of stakeholder groups from agency personnel, public citizens, and international collaborators. Experience with and/or knowledgeable of research in natural resources discipline. A M.S. degree in ecology, environmental science, geography, bioinformatics, or a related subject.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Resume, cover letter and three referencesWork Hours
Advertised: Jun 8, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 8, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time