Assistant Vice Chancellor for Corporate and Foundation Relations
Job no: 508528
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: VC-University Advancement
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Date opened: 08 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
With a growing reputation for innovative research addressing the most complex and pressing issues of our times, UMass Boston—metropolitan Boston’s only public research university—offers its students an intimate learning environment and the rich experience of a great American city. Located on a beautiful Boston Harbor waterfront, only three subway stops from the center of one of the nation’s most culturally, academically, and professionally rich cities, the university is composed of ten colleges and graduate schools serving a robustly diverse population of roughly 17,000 students. (A majority-minority campus, UMass Boston is the third-most diverse four-year university in the nation.) UMass Boston prides itself on being “a research university with a teaching soul” and an engine of educational access and economic mobility for its ambitious students, many of whom are first-generation college students.
This is a time of unprecedented growth and transformational change for the university. Alumni engagement and fundraising momentum are building: Since the arrival of University Advancement Vice Chancellor Adam Wise in September 2018, the university has more than doubled the number of seven-figure gifts it has received from alumni and friends. Chancellor Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, who joined UMass Boston in August 2020, has dedicated the university to nurturing truth, ethics, and beauty and creating a more inclusive, just, and sustainable world, calling UMass Boston “the university of and for the city and the university of and for the times.” Today’s applicants have an opportunity to help usher this deeply service- and citizenship-oriented institution into an exciting new era.
The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Corporate and Foundation Relations (AVC for CF&R) is a senior level management position in University Advancement, reporting directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Corporate and Foundation Relations. The position will play a key role on the CF&R team, informing strategy and increasing the support that corporations, private foundations and organizations provide to UMass Boston. The main thrust of this position is to bolster the relationships with, and proposals for funding to, major corporations and foundations. This dynamic candidate will work closely, with deans, department chairs, key research faculty, and leaders of Centers and Institutes, on the development of creative and formal proposals to garner operating support and/or endowment gifts to establish scholarships, stipends for graduate research, faculty support, among other areas. Additional interactions for the AVC for CF&R include working with our design and proposal developer to help complete polished proposals at the six-figure-plus level and above.
Examples of Duties:
Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s Degree is preferred. The candidate must have minimum of 10 years of demonstrated progressive experience in a fundraising environment with a proven ability to engage donors, foundations, corporations and/or government grant organizations through enticing proposals that secure six figure-plus commitments within a public or private higher education institution or nonprofit environment is mandatory.
It is also expected that the AVC for CF&R will have a thorough understanding of and experience in comprehensive campaigning from organizations at the $100 million-plus level. Additional requirements and/or expectations are:
- Ability to discover corporate and foundation funding opportunities, develop relationships with those organizations as well as with key colleagues on the UMass Boston campus, and turn those potential funding ideas into polished and successful proposals that garner philanthropic support;
- Demonstrative success in uniting disparate university voices from schools and colleges, to programs, centers and/or institutes into interdisciplinary ideas that elevate smaller proposals into larger and more comprehensive levels of impact and support;
- Ability to drive elevated solicitation strategies while adhering to sound processes and procedures in order to formulate and achieve performance metrics with measurable impact in multiple areas in an overall high performing development shop;
- A clear understanding of modern university campaigning at the nine-figure-plus level and demonstrated success in helping close mid-six-figure level gifts that bolster a comprehensive campaign;
- Ability to perform well under pressure, and adept to change in a fast-paced environment;
- State of the art oral and written communication skills as well some proposal design work;
- Comfortable with delivering time-sensitive projects; and,
- Out-of-state travel to major cities where needed.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
This is a non-union exempt position.All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.