Geospatial Solutions Specialist
This position is located at the EERC, an international leader in energy and environmental research, conducting projects for clients throughout the United States and the world. The EERC offers opportunities to people with an exceptional work attitude, dedication to high professional standards, and commitment to personal development. We are looking for experienced, aggressive, scientifically trained, and market-oriented individuals to contribute to the success of the organization by performing one or more of the following functions:
- Support ongoing GIS data development, spatial analysis, and data visualization across a variety of energy and environmental research projects, with an emphasis on subsurface research and development, specifically within oil and gas industry or other geology-related projects (e.g., carbon capture and storage).
- Collect, reduce, analyze, and interpret data, ensure quality control, and compile results in an organized, orderly format.
- Create publication-quality maps and figures and perform data analysis, with the ability to complete the unique, project-related products quickly.
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams and effectively communicate ideas, opinions, and solutions related to current and future project activities.
- Support energy and environmental research projects through activities such as data analysis/interpretation, subject matter research, laboratory analysis, field work, or demonstration facility work.
- Assist in the preparation of technical proposals, reports, publications, and presentations.
- Adhere to and promote EERC core values, mission statement, policies, standard operating practices, and culture.
At the Energy & Environmental Research Center (EERC), we know our people are our greatest asset. Our team of over 200 is sought after worldwide to solve energy and environmental challenges in innovative ways. Since 1951, we’ve worked with over 1,300 clients in 53 countries. We recognize that quality, market-driven science and engineering technologies come from engaged, motivated employees. We encourage lifelong learning through our Employee Development Program and offer many opportunities for both professional and personal growth. In addition to competitive salaries and an outstanding benefits package, the EERC provides opportunities for inventors of commercialized technologies to share in the profits. As part of the University of North Dakota, employees are eligible for tuition waivers and reduced tuition for family members. Apply with us for a position that can turn into a lifelong passion and a work environment that’s more like a family.
For more information regarding the EERC, visit www.undeerc.org.Required Competencies
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the ESRI Product Family including ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro.
- Experience in receipt, manipulation, and interpretation of spatial and tabular GIS data using current technologies.
- Proficient in data management using software such as MS Access, Excel, or SQL.
- Effective at creating maps that clearly display various scientific/research results in a timely fashion.
- Attention to detail with strong organization skills.
- Motivated, adaptive individual with a positive, goal-oriented attitude.
- Strong writing, problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Track record of excellent teamwork and customer service.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science- or engineering-related field.
- Two years of demonstrated cartography/GIS experience, advanced degree or Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) certificate may count toward experience.
- Demonstrated experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro in performing spatial data analysis and generating publication-quality map products.
- Cover letter and resume.
- Successful completion of criminal history records check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position does not support visa sponsorship for continued employment.Preferred Qualifications
- Advanced degree in science- or engineering-related field.
- GIS certificate or similar educational/training achievement demonstrating GIS knowledge/background.
- Experience in oil and gas industry or geology-related (e.g., carbon capture and storage) research/projects. Ability to work in and pull geologic model/simulation results in from Petrel is a plus.
- Experience in deploying web-based mapping via ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator in refining maps into final products.
- Programming experience such as ArcPy (Python) or other languages (i.e., MSSQL) for data management, calculations, interpretation, analysis, etc.
- Experience in open-source GIS software (e.g., QGIS).
- Experience in data analytics.
$55,000 Annual/Full-Time, Benefited, ExemptWork Schedule
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with flexibility to accommodate work activities/work life balance. Travel may be required.Benefits
Includes single or family health care coverage (premiums paid for by the university), basic life insurance, EAP, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave. Optional benefits available: supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.To Apply
This position is open until filled with initial review date of 6/23/2021.Additional Information
To find out why living and working in Greater Grand Forks is way cooler, check out Grand Forks is Cooler.
All information listed in this position announcement will be used by Human Resources, the Hiring Department, and EO/Title IX for screening, interviewing and selection purposes.Confidentiality of Application Materials
Pursuant to NDCC 44-04-18.27, applications and any records related to the applications that identify an applicant are confidential, except records related to the finalists of the position, which are open to the public after the search committee has identified the top three finalists who will be invited to campus.EEO Statement
The University of North Dakota is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or other protected characteristic. Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants are invited to provide information regarding their gender, race and/or ethnicity, veteran’s status and disability status as part of the application process. This information will remain confidential and separate from your application.Veteran’s Preference
Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 or NGB 22 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability from the VA dated within the last 12 months.Clery Statement
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University of North Dakota publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes the university’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, as well as three years’ of crime statistics for our campus. As a prospective employee, you are entitled to a copy of this report. The report and statistical data can be found online at UND.edu. You may also request a paper copy of the report from the UND Police Department located at 3851 Campus Road, Grand Forks, ND, 58202.