Mental Health Counselor - Multicultural Counseling
Mental Health Counselor - Multicultural CounselingTracking Code636-280 Job Description
Student Counseling Services (SCS) is seeking a full-time, 12-month mental health counselor with a focus on multicultural counseling. SCS consists of a dynamic staff, jointly invested with campus partners, such as Health Services, as well as Religious & Spiritual Life, in the implementation of sustained inclusive practice. Our primary search criteria is for a generalist counselor with a strong interest in working with Black college students/students of color.. Candidates should have experience working with a wide range of client presenting concerns, with varying levels of severity.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility is to provide individual and group counseling and/or psychotherapy, assessment, crisis intervention, and on-call services to a diverse population of Stetson students through in person and telehealth modalities
- Demonstrated knowledge and sensitivity related to anti-racism, social justice, multicultural issues and proven ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups
- Develop and participate in outreach programs/activities, especially those tailored to support Black college students/students of color.
- Provide consultation services to student groups, faculty, and staff within the university
- Based on need and personal strengths coordination duties as assigned: clinical, group, training, outreach, etc.
- Participate in research and/or data collection in accordance with the rule of the University’s IRB
- Use electronic programs (such as Titanium Schedule, CCAPS Assessments, Microsoft Outlook & Teams) and other tools to enhance the efficacy of the center’s work
- Collaborate with other departments within the division
- Support and implement University and departmental policies and procedures
- Perform other assigned functions that contribute to the service offerings of Student Counseling Services and the academic mission of the institution
- Serve in the on-call rotation 24/7 for one week per month, during which the counselor stays within 40 minutes of campus
- Performs other site and position specific functions as assigned
YOUR TEAM: Campus Life and Student Success is a dynamic, evolving division driven by transformational leadership and continuous improvement. We are committed to being a community of inclusive excellence as we live out Stetson University’s values. We seek team members who are highly motivated, strategic thinkers and relationship builders who thrive on shared governance. Our high expectations are matched by a robust professional development curriculum which promotes achievement and significance through self-assessment, reflection, and holistic goal setting. We actualize a philosophy of “challenge and support” grounded in liberal learning and development as it relates to student persistence and success. We are committed to facilitating student discovery and exploration consistent with the aims of a broad liberal arts education; offering impactful learning opportunities based on current research and empirical data; cultivating the unique strengths and perspectives of individual students; fostering global awareness, social justice values, and civic engagement; and providing a healthy and vibrant educational environment conducive to holistic well-being.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1883, Stetson University (http://www.stetson.edu) is a private, selective university comprised of a rich array of liberal arts and professional academic programs. Collectively, Stetson’s faculty works with 3,500 students in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. The University’s historic main campus, located in DeLand, enrolls more than 3,000 students in undergraduate programs in the College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Business Administration, and the School of Music. Stetson University College of Law, Florida’s first law school, moved from the main campus to Gulfport in 1945, and, with the addition of the Tampa Law Center, serves over 1,000 students working full-time or part-time toward J.D. or LL.M. degrees. Graduate programs offered at the main campus and at Stetson University Center in Celebration include Business, Educational Leadership, Reading Education, and Counseling. Florida’s oldest private institution of higher learning, Stetson has regularly been ranked among the best regional universities in the Southeast and was the first private college in Florida to be granted a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.
Minimum Education: Master's degreeRequired Skills
- Have had appropriate course work at the graduate level, through an accredited program in their discipline, and demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities in psychological assessment, theories of personality, abnormal psychology or psychopathology, human development, learning theory, counseling theory, and/or other appropriate subjects.
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles of program development, consultation, outreach, developmental theories of the adolescent and adult, and be able to understand the person in the context of a diverse social and cultural milieu.
- Willingness to serve on a monthly (on average) on-call rotation, consisting of 24/7 availability for one week, while remaining within a 40 minute commute to campus, for potential student crisis consultation/management with after-hours support.
- Acknowledge that while most of this positions time is in office during regular week days, that some evenings and weekend workshops and outreach will be necessary.
- Have personal attributes that enable the Counselor to facilitate effective interpersonal relationships and to communicate with a wide range of students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Have at the minimum a master’s degree in counseling or a closely related discipline.
- Be licensed to practice according to the regulations of the State of Florida or be eligible to immediately become licensed.
- Have experience working with diverse populations and recognize the importance of inclusive excellence.
Salary Grade: 6Job Location DeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular