VA Certifying Officer
VA Certifying Officer
Job ID: 228578
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associates, bachelors, masters and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0716100 - Military Services
Reporting to the Georgia Southern University Director of Military & Veteran Services, the VA Certifying Officer is the primary point of contact and representative in the Certification of Veteran's Administration (VA) and Military educational benefits.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Certify veteran student education benefits, process active-duty tuition assistance, and provide education training plans and tuition breakdowns for MyCAA applications
- Provide technical assistance to potential and current students seeking VA and Military educational benefits
- Review, evaluate, and verify student records to determine eligibility for VA and TA educational benefits
- Serve as a liaison to key resource departments related to military-affiliated students
- Enter and update military-connected student codes and information in Banner
- Prepare and maintain required reports and documentation in accordance with State Approving Agency (SAA) policy and audit guidelines
- Participate in community and civic outreach programs and external agency engagement efforts in support of the University's vision for military affiliated students
- Travel to military installations and relevant events in the community
- Associate degree
- Three or more years of related work experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledgeable about active-duty military education, experience and training and their relation to a higher education curriculum
- One or more years of experience processing military and veteran education benefits
- Experience with VA-Once, GoArmyEd, and MyCAA
$17.55 per hour
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section of your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure sensitive information
- Ability to make independent judgment and communicate decisions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Proficiency with computers and computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite, Google and e-mail
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational, prioritization, time management, detail orientation, problem solving, and human relations skills
Apply Before Date
June 28, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by e-mail at [email protected] .
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected] .
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours
- Occasional travel may be required
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=228578&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency