Macalester College seeks to hire a part time (0.5 FTE) Department Coordinator for its fast-growing and collaborative Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science Department (MSCS). This half-time position will work closely with the existing full-time department coordinator, with flexible hours and duties. The work of Department Coordinator includes many roles and tasks over the course of the academic year; flexibility, reliability, good humor, and the ability to multitask are essential, as is the ability to work with a wide range of people and personalities. It is vital that this individual fosters and promotes Macalester's culture of diversity and inclusion, encompassing individuals of any heritage, identity, status or orientation. About the Department: MSCS is the largest department on campus, whether you count by number of faculty (around 25), number of courses taught (more than 50 per semester), number of majors (graduating between 80 and 100 per year). Our courses enroll about 1,100 students each semester, and we hire and supervise between 80 and 100 student workers each semester.
Specific hours flexible with most duties during standard business hours. This is a 0.5 FTE, 9 month position.
This position will collaborate closely with the current full-time department coordinator on:
- Assisting MSCS department chair with general administrative tasks including monitoring budgets and coordinating for department events.
- Hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising student employees and preceptors.
- Mentoring, motivating, and marshaling student work for the benefit of the whole office.
- Event coordination, including advertising, room reservations, and visitor support. Events include seminars, social gatherings, and student co-curricular and extra-curricular programming.
- Establishing a welcoming and inclusive environment and serving as the first point of contact with students, alumni, and the broader community.
- Engaging in ongoing department commitments toward equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- High school diploma or GED required; previous experience working in an academic setting would assist the candidate.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Interpersonal skills and interest in working with individuals of color, first-generation college students and/or individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading
- Experience writing for social media, websites and/or managing databases and spreadsheets is a plus
- Creatively problem solving and fiscal management skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite and comfort in learning new technology tools
- Ability to organize and prioritize work; work independently; provide support for multiple individuals; maintain confidentiality with materials, information, and communications
- Willingness to learn and ability to operate computers, printers, copiers and other standard office equipment
- Demonstrated interest in equity, inclusion, and diversity
Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's degree Previous work in an academic settingApplication Guidelines For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities website. This position will be posted until filled. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
[email protected]: For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance. Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.