Instructional Technology Specialist or Senior Specialist
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry is seeking an Instructional Technology Specialist or Senior Instructional Technology Specialist to help further our mission of being a leader in dental education. This position supports the faculty, staff and students with our online education program as well as with providing support for assessments.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Assists faculty and students in the use of technology in learning applications and equipment using a wide variety of available technologies, such as: digital images/audio, PowerPoint and other PC presentation software, enterprise learning applications, and distance learning (DL) technologies such as satellite television, and IP audio and video over the internet
- Provides daily support and advice to faculty, staff and students in effectively using instructional technology applications and/or equipment.
- Conducts formal presentations in the use of specific technology materials.
- Monitors use and secures audio/visual, multimedia, video production, and IT equipment as appropriate.
- Assist with the department’s or school’s presence on the web in design and integration of special learning features.
- May collaborate on training plans and blended learning implementation strategies and in the design and customization of curriculum and provide consultation on course media use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Develops instructional materials using a variety of available technologies, such as: digital images/audio, PowerPoint and other presentation software, enterprise learning applications, and distance learning (DL) technologies, such as: satellite television and IP audio and video over the internet. Supports staff in instructional design projects. Provides direction to faculty, staff, and students in the use of learning applications.
- Develops online, web based, interactive in nature learning applications.
- Designs and conducts formal presentations in the use of specific technology.
- Provides guidance and direction in the use of audio/visual, multimedia, video production, and IT equipment as appropriate.
- Collaborates with departmental staff in the design and customization of curriculum and assists in the development of training plans and blended learning implementation strategies.
- Develops multi-media materials and eLearning application for staff use.
- Plans the acquisition and implementation of new instructional technologies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education: Bachelor’s degree in field and/or related field, such as Graphic or Instructional Design. Master's degree preferred.
Specialist position requires two (2) years related experience which includes proficiency with audio/visual, multimedia, video production, or IT resources.
Senior Specialist position requires three (3) years related experience which includes proficiency with audio/visual, multimedia, video production, or IT resources.
Other: Related experience may be substituted for education.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of instructional technology platforms and their requirements.
- Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
- Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
- Accomplishes responsibilities by applying specialized and theoretical instructional technology knowledge, principles, and concepts of a professional discipline normally acquired through advanced education or specialized training.
- Resolves issues and significant matters on behalf of management by utilizing independent judgment, discretion, creativity, and analytical thinking. Contributes to development and evaluation of goals and objectives. Creates solutions to ensure legal and policy compliance.
- May independently manage or administer programs, processes, projects, or resources.
- Applies entry or intermediate level knowledge, concepts, principles, and skills. Decision making occurs within general guidelines and requires significant interpretation.
- Supervisor defines work guided by goals and objectives.
- Supervisor assists with unusual situations. Solutions require considerable analysis and evaluation of various alternatives.
- Under supervision or independently anticipates needs and requirements to resolve non-routine matters.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.