Administrative Assistant II
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Department of Medicine - Education Office is currently recruiting for an Administrative Assistant II. This position will work directly with the Department of Medicine Director of Academic Programs, Department Chair, Administrator and related staff in other divisions and organizations, the Administrative Assistant II will:
Provide complex administrative support to the Department of Medicine administration. Work requires comprehensive knowledge of the organization, skill in working with issues related to procedures and confidential matters, and involves considerable participation in the work of the supervisor. Incumbents exercise discretion and judgment with considerable consequence of error.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Format and revise a variety of documents and materials created by others as well as proofreads for grammatical, typographical, and basic content errors.
- Drafts routine correspondence and replies to inquiries which do not require technical program knowledge.
- Develops, implements, and maintains paper and electronic filing systems which meet department needs and satisfy requirements for retention and information security. Enters, updates, and retrieves information as needed. Creates reports as needed. A high degree of accuracy is need.
- Researches, analyzes, and summarizes information and source materials for reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
- Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards remainder with necessary background material.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
- Makes all necessary arrangements for payment of invoices and independently performs required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
- Acts as intermediary for supervisor, interacting with officials, staff at all levels and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of institutional policies, procedures and special departmental issues.
- Anticipates supervisor's course of action when absent and facilitates problem resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the supervisor.
- May provide guidance and instruction to divisional staff within the Department.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: Three (3) years or more related office experience.
Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology.
- Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision.
- Ability to apply knowledge of institutional policies, practices and procedures.
- Skilled in relevant PC applications such as Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrate professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others.
- Previous experience in a higher education setting is desired.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,853.66
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Department of Medicine
Job Posting: Jun 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 14, 2021, 10:59:00 PM