Help Desk Specialist
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry (UMSOD) Office of Information Technology is seeking a Help Desk Specialist to support the IT needs of the school. This position will work independently and as part of a team. The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of Microsoft Windows and Apple OS. The department supports all the IT needs of the school, including mobile devices as well as desktop computers. The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Implement industry best practices and policy based on expert knowledge and organizational needs.
- Identify, research, and seek resolution to a variety of complex end user technical problems. Respond to technical support requests via walk in, email, and telephone.
- Develop documentation/instructions of standard operating procedures.
- Work with users and other IT staff to determine and develop specific information systems requirements and processes. Determine the impact on existing systems.
- Evaluate technical specifications and requirements against available solutions.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform PC, hardware and peripheral equipment improvements, upgrades, and repairs. Perform installation, setup, configuration, and troubleshooting for personal computers, handheld devices and peripherals.
- Analyze, design, develop, and implement fully integrated systems which may include applications, databases, networks, and related systems.
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning in order to meet future computer hardware needs.
- May perform software licensing and sales function that includes the identification, acquisition, and instillation of user desired software. Maintain catalog of user licenses and manage license renewal process. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelors in computer science, information technology, or a related field of study.Experience: One (1) year of experience with various types of hardware and software to be supported. Experience in Microsoft Windows, Office 365, Mac OS, Mac IOS preferred.Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Hiring Range: Approximately $57,000 - $60,000, commensurate with education and experience.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Dentistry - Information Technology
Job Posting: Jun 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 21, 2021, 10:59:00 PM