Research Assistant, Clinical
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) School of Medicine is hiring a Clinical Research Assistant for the Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science. This position will serve as a research assistant for a NIH clinical trial examining the effects exercise rehabilitation on health, physical function, and quality of life in older adults. This position will be an integral part of working in a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, exercise physiologists, and physical therapists. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the instruments and techniques of aging-related clinical exercise rehabilitation and the conduct of human subjects research. UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This is a contractual position that offers a generous leave package of 10 vacation days, 3 personal days, 8 holidays, and 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
- Responsible for assisting with the performance of a clinical research project funded by the NIH in a clinical setting, including recruitment of potential study subjects. Collects and maintains data collected during Biodex strength testing and other function tests. Administering physical function testing, interpret results, and report findings. Maintain program and study data for reports, program effectiveness, case load, and attendance. Assists with the implementation of exercise rehabilitation projects including instructing participants on the proper technique of using exercise equipment and leading group exercise classes according to study protocol. Monitor participants during exercise sessions and report participant progress to Principal Investigator. Obtain written informed consent for potential research participants.
- Assist the Principal Investigator and other research personnel in the development of research protocols and materials by providing study analysis and forming conclusions and recommendations. Assist with performing administrative duties. Maintains communication with participants and colleagues regarding protocol specific information and research orders. May also assist with providing assessments and ensuring protocol compliance while participants are in a study.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in exercise physiology or related discipline. A Master’s degree is preferred. Preferred Experience: Previous human subject research experience is preferred. Prior experience in exercise rehabilitation a plus. Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Position requires CPR certification which may be obtained after the time of hire. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team setting as well as an independent ability to accomplish tasks.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Self-motivated and willing to learn.
- Good interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Physical Therapy
Job Posting: Jun 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Jun 21, 2021, 10:59:00 PM