Landscape & Grounds Worker
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-07
The University of Virginia Facilities Management department is seeking Landscape & Grounds Workers within the Facilities Management Department. Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of UVA's buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The University has been recognized by multiple sources over the years as one of the most beautiful college campuses in the United States. More recently the University has been designated by The Arbor Day Foundation as a “Tree Campus” which speaks to the commitment of the Landscape Department and the University for maintaining the health of our trees. In addition, the University has received the designation of being a Bee Campus, again speaking to our dedication to supporting the pollinator insect population on Grounds. We are seeking multiple Landscape & Grounds Workers who wish to be part of this team tasked with maintaining the exterior environment that is the Grounds of the University of Virginia.
- Garden bed maintenance which includes weed pulling, mulching, leaf removal, pruning, watering; planting of trees, shrubs, ground cover, perennial and annual flowers.
- Turf Care which includes mowing, string trimming, aerating, over-seeding, fertilizing, grading, sodding.
- Maintain the cleanliness of Grounds by picking up litter, sweeping patios, walks and steps and emptying trash/recycling barrels.
- Respond to weather conditions on Grounds to maintain routine and emergency access which includes operating trucks, equipment and shovels to clear walkways, roads and parking lots of snow and ice. Often this work requires working during nonstandard shifts with short notice.
- Perform all work in accordance with safety rules and procedures, such as OSHA, federal, state, and local regulations.
- Assist as needed to prepare for events on-grounds occasionally requiring work to be performed during nonstandard shifts (weekends and/or evenings).
- Operate and perform minor maintenance on landscaping equipment, such as lubrication, maintaining fluid levels, repairs, blade sharpening, and cleaning in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Basic landscape installation, groundskeeping or garden maintenance.
- Licensure: Valid Virginia drivers license, with a positive points balance.
The selected candidate will need to complete all required background checks prior to starting in the position. The hourly rate for these positions is $15.00/hour.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Basic landscape or grounds experience.
Licensure: Valid Virginia drivers license, with a positive points balance.
The selected candidate will need to complete all required background checks prior to starting in the position including DMV.
Working conditions and physical demands:
This position is exposed to varying temperatures due to outside work and to noise from working around and with machinery. Employees are potentially exposed to contaminants and chemicals due to the use of fuel and landscape fertilizers, etc. Landscape & Grounds Workers are also required to stand, walk, and lift above and below the waist various weights which may include different landscape equipment and materials. The use of both hands and a repetitive motion will be required while pruning, driving, weeding, and pushing lawnmowers.
To apply, visit https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for 'Landscape & Grounds Worker'. Fully complete the online application, also attaching the following required documents:
- Contact information for three (3) professional references.
Note: multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Application Process for those Currently Employed by UVA: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for ‘Landscape & Grounds Worker’ and complete the application, attaching a resume and contact information for three references.
Incomplete applications that are missing required documents will not be given full consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Michele Jarman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.