Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant-Cardiovascular Surgical ICU
Job location: National
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-07
Provides patient care services as part of a healthcare team. Responsible for assessment, diagnosis and implementation of treatment plans. Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests. Consults with other members of the healthcare team when appropriate. Instructs patients and family members regarding treatment.
• Independently and in collaboration with physician(s) and interdisciplinary team members, provides comprehensive clinical and organizational direction and leadership to the healthcare provider team in the care of patients.
• Performs comprehensive history and physical assessment
• Documents findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings
• Orders and interprets the appropriate diagnostic labs and tests
• Forms medical diagnoses based on history, assessment and diagnostic findings
• Develops, implements and evaluates treatment plans
• Prescribes and recommends pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions
• Initiates appropriate specialty consultations referrals when requisite
• Initiates and evaluates clinical pathways and protocols
• Collaborates with Attendings and/or Fellows regarding admissions and community transfers
• Facilitates the timely flow of patients via collaboration with interdisciplinary team members and supports all interdisciplinary relationships
• Recognizes acute/emergent situations requiring immediate responsiveness and initiates life-saving interventions, alerting the interdisciplinary team members for assistance
• Recognizes and incorporates age-specific requirements, communicates plan of care with patients and families
• Advocates for patients and family members in educational needs, treatment options, participation in care and ethical issues and patient rights with recognition and consideration of the diverse needs of the individual/family
• Provides consultation in specialty area
• Maintains confidentiality of patient information
• Coordinates meeting applicable clinical standards for all disciplines in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members
• Explains the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient families, staff and students
• Performs designated procedures after demonstrated competency
Education: Master’s Degree as an Advance Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant)
Experience: One to two years minimum experience as an Advanced Practice Provider: Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Licensure: License or license eligible as an Advance Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) as set forth by the state of Virginia. Must demonstrate and maintain all credentialing and licensing requirements of the UVA Medical Center,the Virginia Board of Medicine or the Virginia Board of Nursing, and the appropriate certifying bodies. Must be enrolled with all payers through Delegated Credentialing and can participate in Medicaid and Medicare for billing. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) required. Current PALS/NRP, as required specific to position. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently walking/bending/stooping. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.