Research Technician II
Asthma/Airway Disease Rsch CtrDepartment Website Link:
University of Arizona Health SciencesAddress:
1501 N. Campbell Ave., Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Asthma & Airway Disease Research Center (A2DRC) at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center seeks applicants for the position of Research Technician II. The Research Technician position will be involved with examining secreted proteins from lung in vivo or lung cells and/or blood cells in vitro to elucidate the mechanisms of lung disease. The successful candidate should have knowledge of RNA extraction, quantitative assays and be familiar with computer based record keeping of data. This position requires working independently and collaborating with other scientists and Principal Investigators.The A2DRC is led by Fernando D. Martinez, MD. Since the 1970’s the A2DRC has conducted interdisciplinary research and translational medicine that integrates clinical medicine with epidemiology, immunology, genetics, epigenetics, pharmacology and cutting edge technology in order to understand and treat airway disease. The Center’s mission is to improve our understanding of the risk factors, natural history, biology and treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform cell culture by followingestablished protocols and using proper sterile techniques.
- DNA and RNA extraction and plating.
- Operations and management of highlysensitive Beckman FX liquid handling robot.
- Follow a set procedure fordocumenting and storing samples.
- Operate and maintain laboratory andexperimental equipment such as microscopes, centrifuges, and analyticalbalances.
- Assist in basic laboratorymaintenance, eg., cleaning labware, restocking supplies, and waste disposal.
- Use of computers for data andstatistical analysis.
- Analyze data and be able to presentinformation in narrative and graphical format at laboratory meetings.
- Maintain accurate, orderly, detailedproject records including design and test data, specifications, directives,etc.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
* Knowledge of RNA extraction.* Knowledge of quantitative assays.* Familiar with computer based data record keeping.* Experience using pipetting and/or liquid handling robots.* Experience with tissue culture and performing nucleic acid extraction.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$13.56 - $18.15Compensation Type:
3Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Amber Spangenberg | [email protected]Open Date:
6/7/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.