Student Research Lab Assistant
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-06-07
Job Description SummaryWork in laboratory to execute assigned laboratory experiments, maintain cell line cultures, manager with keeping up safety issues, inventory and laboratory upkeep. Record experimental data. Provide assistance in data analysis. Report research accomplishments to professor, and for research guidance.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
- Execute assigned experiments according to provided protocols.
- Maintain different cell line cultures.
- Prepare reagents, solutions, etc. necessary for execution of assigned experiments.
- Autoclave tubes, pipet tips, etc. necessary for execution of assigned experiments.
- Clean glassware and equipment used during execution of assigned experiments.
- Maintain accurate records of experimental data.
- Work according to established laboratory safety rules and regulations.
- Work up to 30 hours per week in the laboratories.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sophomore Standing.
- Completion of BIO125 and BIO324L courses.
- Knowledge of cell culture, tumorigenesis, and the principles of targeted drug design.
- Excellent cell culturing skills.
- Working knowledge of tissue cell transfection.
- Working knowledge of the cell viability in vitro CCK-8 assay.
- Working knowledge of SDS-PAGE and Western blotting.
- Excel proficiency.
- Computer skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with various laboratory equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment, plan and organize work, prioritize work and manage time.
- Able to develop and maintain effective and productive relationships.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Work requires frequent standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion and vision of computer monitors.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who can perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. In addition, the employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
This job description intends to represent the types of duties and responsibilities required of positions given this title. It shall not be construed as a declaration of any particular position's total specific duties and responsibilities. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b - Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period