Superintendent of Grounds - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (147269)
Superintendent of Grounds
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign has an opening for a Superintendent of Grounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Facility Operations and Maintenance
- Supervise and perform duties involved in maintenance of facilities used for the intercollegiate athletic events, practices, camps in sports, and other functions under the direction of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics. These duties may involve, but not limited, the preparation, event maintenance, and clean up sport venues for participation and spectators.
- Instructs, assigns, and evaluates custodial duties in the cleaning of athletic facilities, equipment rooms and public areas, including, but not limited to mopping, scrubbing, floor renovation, cleaning fixtures, washing windows, vacuuming, cleaning and waxing floors/furnishing, and cleaning rest rooms.
- Assists in the planning, coordinating and assigning personnel in the use of the facilities for DIA activities. Insures that safety policies and procedures are followed in maintaining a safe environment for personnel, athletes, event participants and spectators.
- Is responsible to report and update the Associate Director of Athletics Facilities Management on the status of shop assignments, work orders, and personnel on a daily basis when applicable.
- Prepare athletic fields for both practice and competition.
Facility Fields and Grounds Supervision and Operations
- Oversee daily work assignments and supervise the completing of those assignments by those working on the fields and grounds.
- Oversee maintenance and operation of all irrigation systems and pump stations on department grounds.
- Responsible for chemical and fertilizer applications on athletic fields and department grounds in addition to the specification and purchasing of appropriate products used.
- Work with coaches or their designee on facility scheduling for daily maintenance and improvements.
- Serve as department liaison with University and other industry professionals, public and professional organizations related to field management both inside and outside the University.
Facilities Budgeting and Management
- Work with the Associate Director of Athletics, Facilities on budgeting, personnel, payroll, and purchasing for Sports Facilities.
- Serve as advisor for use of Gift and Kind program for I Fund accounts.
- Provide budget costs and recommendations for necessary equipment to maintain the existing facilities, fields, and grounds
- Maintain records and provide reports as needed.
- Maintain and be responsible for roughly 85 acres of various athletic program properties
- Coordinate all home game event activities and field needs with event staff
- Provide consistent updates, timelines, and oversight for gameday protocol & facility operations
Required Work Experience:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintain knowledge of, and compliance with, specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position is required.
- Lawn, tree and shrub care
- Supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of grounds care equipment? i.e: mowers, top dressers, aerifies, and other professional equipment used for the care of grounds.
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems to insure proper operations and applications.
- Working knowledge of chemicals and fertilizers for applications on athletic fields and grounds
- Working knowledge of artificial athletic field turf maintenance
- Knowledge and awareness of hazardous materials and proper utilization for field and ground maintenance and operations.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service position appointed on a -month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Applications must be received by June 21, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained (if you want to specifically spell out bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees here, you can)
- names/contact information for three references
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Krissy Doran at [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Division of Intercollegiate Athletics Category:2-Administrative Title:Superintendent of Grounds - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (147269) Open Date:06/07/2021 Close Date:06/21/2021 Organization Name:Intercollegiate Athletics