Office Manager (147794)
Department - To be determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Employees in positions allocated to this level work under direction to provide staff assistance for a major campus/university department. They function as an agent of the unit or organization by performing highly specialized administrative support duties. An in-depth knowledge of the organization, programs, policies and procedures of the unit is essential to the performance of the duties, along with the ability to use good judgment, the ability to operate computer systems, using word processing, database and software packages, and to exercise discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information.
An Office Manager typically:
- relieves the designated member(s) of the unit staff of numerous personal contacts and determines an appropriate course of action;
- reviews incoming mail for the designated member(s) of the unit staff, selects and responds to items within scope of responsibility;
- keyboards documents containing confidential or sensitive information; transcribes and/or records confidential or sensitive information; independently composes and provides drafts of correspondence, memos, and reports that represent position(s) of the designated member(s) of the unit staff;
- establishes and revises the calendar(s) of the designated member(s) of the unit staff, informing him/her/them of impending engagements;
- coordinates logistical arrangements relating to conferences, meetings and prepares necessary materials and travel for the designated member(s) of the unit staff;
- establishes and maintains the confidential records and files of the designated member(s) of the unit staff;
- maintains records of unit fiscal transactions involving a variety of accounts and provides advice regarding the appropriateness of requested expenditures;
- assists in creation of publications for internal and external audiences (brochures, posters, letterhead, websites, social media accounts, etc.);
- attends meetings as a delegate for the designated member(s) of the unit staff when requested;
- conducts research as requested and reports information which requires the evaluation of sources or the application of regulations and procedures to specific cases;
- establishes and maintains inventory records, conducting periodic checks for inventory control purposes;
- anticipates and responds to the detailed office support needs of the designated member(s) of the unit staff through the independent performance of lower level duties or supervision of assigned staff;
- plans, organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of the unit’s administrative support staff and participates in their selection, training, and evaluation; coordination of searches;
- provides information to students regarding the major/minor program, such as the application process, scheduling classes, graduation requirements, etc.;
- performs duties listed in lower level of this classification series;
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series.
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
Office Manager positions are benefits-eligible Civil Service positions. Most positions are full-time (37.5 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum starting salary is $20.676 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and Exam Request form for Office Manager. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:University of Illinois Category:3-Administrative Support Title:Office Manager (147794) Open Date:06/07/2021 Close Date:06/14/2021 Organization Name:Illinois Human Resources Operations