IT Technical Associate - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (145282)
IT Technical Associate
Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The function of this individual is to provide IGB/Biotechnology Center staff with installation, maintenance, operation, and support of computers and applications in the office and labs. Additionally, this person is responsible for keeping the inventory of IT devices in the IGB up to date.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Desktop support – Troubleshoot, resolve, triage, and consult on machines and software in the IGB and Biotechnology Center.
- Account management – create accounts and assign permissions for users as needed.
- Erase data storage devices in compliance with state and campus policies and laws
- Evaluates unit’s operational needs, researches computer hardware, software, and accessories and recommend purchases, as well as, install required systems and software/programs.
- Responsible for CrashPlan – Backup for IGB and Biotechnology Center.
- Conduct training for staff and administration in computers’ use and their relevant software on a “one to one” basis.
- Maintain inventory of hardware. Assist with finding computers for the biannual inventory.
Required: Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows:
- 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years
Preferred: Engineering or IT related Associates or Bachelors degree
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Installation and troubleshooting of Windows 10 systems
- Installation and troubleshooting of OS X systems
- How to use the internet to find solutions to problems
- How to perform hardware maintenance (changing fans, replacing hard drives, installing HBAs) in systems
- Great customer service
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Ability to keep precise records of equipment and its locations
- Installation and troubleshooting of Linux systems
- Basic programming skills
- Basic understanding of IP networks
- Experience working with videoconferencing software
- Able to lift personal PC to a cart for transport
- Able to assist in moving larger systems in the server room
- Able to work on a ladder
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
Applications must be received by June 21, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you may be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following required documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding this vacancy, contact Jacinda King at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:8-Technical Title:IT Technical Associate - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (145282) Open Date:06/07/2021 Close Date:06/21/2021 Organization Name:Institute for Genomic Biology