Director of Development, ICA/Assistant Athletic Director
Job no: 498788
Location: Oxford, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Status: Full Time
Director of Development, ICA/Assistant Athletic Director
Hours Per Week:
The Division of University Advancement at Miami University is looking for new team members who want to make an impact on the lives and experiences of our students through philanthropy. Miami University is a public university founded in 1809 with over 200,000 alumni and 20,000 enrolled students. With its close proximity to the city of Cincinnati coupled with a nationally recognized excellence in undergraduate education, there is a significant opportunity to increase support from alumni, friends, and partners. Everyone on our team plays a part in achieving this goal.
The Director of Development, Intercollegiate Athletics/Assistant Athletic Director will advance the mission of Miami University by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of alumni and friends. Particular emphasis will be given to strategies of identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding annual fund and major gifts, both current and deferred, to the Intercollegiate Athletics program.
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. We recognize that every Miamian has a unique story and unfortunately many are marked with challenges and pain based on one or more of their identities. We thus acknowledge the painful and difficult experiences at Miami past and present. We are committed to recognizing and celebrating all Miamians. We aspire to connect Miami with our diverse constituencies and create pathways for current and future Miamians of all backgrounds. We choose to honor Miami University’s holistic approach to and definition of diversity as our guide. This statement is only a part of Advancement’s efforts.
The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
• Serve as one of the departmental liaisons for Intercollegiate Athletics at Miami University in addressing their objectives, including department oversight in the absence of the Assistant Vice President of Development.
• Manage a personal portfolio of major gift prospects to ensure that timely steps are taken toward identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Work independently and collaboratively on the development and implementation of a strategy for each prospect with other staff, faculty, administrators, coaches and alumni volunteers. Encourage and coordinate involvement of prospects, alumni, and friends through campus visits and regional events.
• Assist with Miami Athletic Fund operations to increase membership and revenues.
• Assist with the coordination of special events as appropriate.
• Assist in marketing and communication efforts of the athletic development office.
• Enhance communication with coaches and support staff of numerous sports by serving as the athletic development liaison.
• Engage young alumni and former student-athletes to participate in development efforts.
• Prepare and present departmental and division proposals to alumni and friends with the input and assistance of directors, staff, administrators, coaches and volunteers. Proposals may involve tax planning, gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities, and insurance.
• Coordinate with the university development professionals on donor strategies and development initiatives with the support of Advancement Services, Office of Development staff and faculty and administrators, provide regular reports on progress and results of the prospect solicitation process, complete and file all contact reports in a timely manner.
• Perform other duties related to the mission of the Office of Development under guidance of the Assistant Vice President of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics and the Vice President for University Advancement.
• Bachelor's degree
• Minimum of three years of experience in development, fundraising, sales, and/or business development.
• Requires regular attendance at evening and weekend events
• Ability and willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills; excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
• Ability to work with little day to day supervision
• Direct fundraising experience
• Intercollegiate athletics fundraising experience
• Experience working in an educational setting
• Management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
See minimum qualifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560. As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact [email protected] or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 07 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time