Events & Operations Manager
Job no: 495742
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Internal Opportunities
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
**This position is only open for current, permanent Boise State Employees**
This position manages day-to-day activities to ensure the department is running efficiently and meets the expectations and needs of customers and staff. Assists with the management/administrative aspects and has operational control of a range of projects. Works on assignments related to project development and management initiatives, internal operating procedures, business processes and policies.Level Scope:
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. Sets and delegates day-to-day tasks to achieve operational objectives. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Problems typically involve a single area, process or constituent group. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.Essential Functions:
60% of the time the Events & Operations Manager must:
● Supervise employees, including making decisions about hiring, evaluating, scheduling/work assignments, work procedures, resolving conflicts and training. Responsible for determining and recommending training needs and planning, coordinating, and overseeing the day-to-day operations.
● Directs customer service and support functions. Assists in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the organization's mission and help execute staff succession and growth plans. Lead efforts to recruit new employees with the goal of attracting and retaining qualified individuals. Manages quality assurance programs.
● Serves as liaison to other team members, including interacting with managers of different areas of the organization, presenting findings to stakeholders and higher management as well as training and supervising new employees and tracking and measuring staff performance.
35% of the time the Events & Operations Manager must:
● Provides day-to-day direct supervision to Events & Operations Coordinators, Events & Operations Specialist, Student Union Managers, and student team.
● Provides vision for development and implementation of training outlines, as well as programs and procedures that include customer service, safety, and operations service delivery.
● Supports University Event Services in review of event set-up sheets, 10-day event projections, The Daily Report, etc., for all scheduled events, programs, and public space activities involving Operations equipment and personnel.
● Develops and approves policies and procedures in the areas of maintenance, housekeeping, security, emergency procedures, building management and other areas of direct responsibility.
5% Duties as assignedKnowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to multitask and delegate
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and with tight deadlines
● Ability to perform a wide range of duties and tasks
● Refined ability to delegate responsibilities and provide leadership and training to key personnel
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience including 1 year of managerial experiencePreferred Qualifications:
● Experience in higher education
● Facilities maintenance and custodial knowledge
● Experience with event planning, production and management
● Ability to manage large multi-use facilities.
● Experience supervising, hiring, training, scheduling, progressive discipline, and evaluating multiple staff and/or teams of staff
● Experience with budgeting, inventory, and purchasing of equipment
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Advertised: June 7, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: June 11, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time