Student Development Specialist
Non ClassifiedJob Title:
Student Development SpecialistClassification Title:
Student Development SpecialistCampus Location:
ASU BeebeJob Description:
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This is a full-time, twelve month position reporting to the Director of Advising and Learning. Some night work may be required. The successful candidate will: serve as an academic advisor, educational planner and advocate for prospective, new and current students; provide comprehensive advising and support concerning academic plans and progress, academic schedule, choice of major(s), activities, resources, and career objectives; coach students in making strategic decisions concerning personal and educational goals leading to graduation. Advising may occur via: online, phone, or in-person. Furthermore, the successful candidate will tutor students in developmental mathematics through college level Algebra,
Calculus, Trigonometry, Statistics, and Technical Math, etc.
The successful candidate have a combination of academic advising experience in a higher education setting, tutoring or teaching experience, experience with online coursework, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Guide students through the process of identifying strengths and interests, formulating personalized educational plans, selecting classes, and developing strategies for academic success and a successful student experience. Provide holistic and intrusive advising to students using NACADA standards and best practices.
2. As part of a team, works with the Director of Advising and Learning and other advisors/tutors to develop and write an advisor handbook, update advising webpages, and maintain advising degree plans for all campus locations.
3. Works closely with faculty members and academic deans to develop and deliver high quality academic advising professional development programs.
4. Assist students with Advising and Learning Center resources, including textbooks, online work in Canvas LMS, computer software and hardware.
5. Tutor and mentor to promote student success and retention, especially in the areas of mathematics. Assists with online tutoring.
Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.Required Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in mathematics, or related field required.Minimum Salary or Salary Range:
regularlyUse hand to finger, handle, or feel:
regularlyReach with hands and arms:
frequentlyStoop, kneel, crouch or crawl:
frequentlyTalk or Hear:
regularlyUp to 10 pounds:
occasionallyUp to 25 pounds:
occasionallyDoes this position have any special vision requirements? Check all that apply.:
Close visionBackground Check Statement:
This position will be subject to a pre-employment criminal, sex-offender registry background check. In cases where pre-determined, an additional financial/credit history/ background check may be required as well. Convictions that have been sealed or legally eradicated and misdemeanor convictions for which probation was completed and the case was dismissed, will be excluded. Disclosure does not constitute an automatic bar to employment. Factors such as dates of the offense, seriousness and nature of the violation, rehabilitation and position applied for will be taken into account.Background Check Requirements:
BothASU Beebe EEO Statement :
Arkansas State University-Beebe shall provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, and shall strive to achieve full and equal employment opportunity throughout our campuses for faculty and staff. Our goal is to foster a workplace community where individuals are valued for their diverse backgrounds and differences.Posting Number:
06/21/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
NOTE: If you are a veteran, disabled veteran, or spouse of a deceased veteran and would like Veteran’s Preference, we will need to see proof of status in order to grant that. Please see Veteran’s Preference section of the application for specific proof.