International Services Specialist
Job no: 508662
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: International Student&Scholars
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: Jun 07 2021
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The International Services Specialist will provide professional support to the ISSO by managing inbound communication from international students and scholars at UML, contributing to maintain the ISSO website up to date, periodically evaluating best customer service practices and collaborating in relevant cultural programming. This position will also support data management, immigration processing, SEVIS pre-advising screening and referral of students and scholars to the appropriate ISSO advisor or specialists. The incumbent will need to have or be open to acquire experience to be a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) so to effectively manage and deliver optimal level of services to the F-1 and J-1 populations at UML. This position will also provide administrative support in the area of office budget management and projection.
Oversight of Customer Service Areas and Communication
Programming and Student Support
Screen and Pre-Advise on F-1 Regulations and Perform DSO SEVIS functions and SUNAPSIS tasks:
Pre-Advise on the following topics:
Perform DSO-Related Functions:
Provide Administrative Support to Office Operation and Executive Director:
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of experience working with international student populations
- Minimum of one year customer service experience (managing high volume phone system, customer interaction, etc.)
- Minimum of one year experience working with international students in the Higher Ed setting
- Demonstrated knowledge or strong interest to learn F-1 and J-1 student regulatory practices and systems
- Familiarity with Data Management systems and using computerized student information systems
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Cultural sensitivity to persons of all backgrounds and nationalities
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to prioritize
- U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident status required to perform DSO and/or ARO tasks and SEVIS events
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is an SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P15.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.