Maker Hub Manager - Georgetown University Library
Maker Hub Manager - Georgetown University Library
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
We are looking for a Maker Hub Manager to inspire discovery and experimentation, connecting Georgetown's art, technology and business communities with new models of innovation in a low-stakes environment where diverse communities learn from each other and work together for the common good. The Georgetown University Library's Maker Hub provides a creative gathering place connecting Georgetown researchers, makers and entrepreneurs from across campus with specialized equipment in a collaborative atmosphere to design, solve problems and innovate.
The ideal candidate for this position has a passion for making of all kinds and is expected to have or develop expertise with all of the equipment offered in the Maker Hub, including 3d printers, laser cutter, sewing and embroidery machines, vinyl cutters, woodworking tools, bookbinding and printmaking tools. This candidate has demonstrated experience developing and leading new initiatives involving multiple stakeholders and shows evidence of experimentation with both traditional tools and emerging technologies. It will be crucial for the individual in this role to show initiative and be able to work both independently and with a variety of teams.
- Oversees the daily operations of the Maker Hub by coordinating instructional activities, supervising student staff and volunteers, designing policies, procedures, and a community culture that ensures a safe, organized and productive environment.
- Provides support to individual students or interdisciplinary teams working on independent projects or course assignments.
- Proactively fosters community-building by developing relationships with makers from all areas of the University, promoting Maker Hub activities and initiatives, and encouraging collaborations between academic units, student groups and individual faculty, students and staff.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5-years experience working in a Makerspace or organization that connects art, technology and business communities.
- 2-years experience teaching.
- Experience supervising employees and/or volunteers.
- Portfolio of creatively fabricated projects that demonstrate expertise using a variety of tools, including 3d printers, laser cutters and other CNC machines and experience with electronics and programming microcontrollers, including Raspberry pi and Arduino.
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite applications, especially Excel and Google sheets (to create and manage budgets and inventories).
- An empathetic, patient, enthusiastic teacher who is able to effectively manage a busy service point and be an excellent role model and trainer to student employees and volunteers.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills required.
The Georgetown University Library is an agile organization located in the nation's capital, committed to advancing Georgetown University's global leadership in academics and research, while also addressing the requirements of the changing landscape of higher education and the evolving nature of scholarly communication. By providing preeminent services, collections and spaces, the Library contributes to the creation, dissemination and preservation of knowledge, as well as the transformation of learning and research.
The Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse staff dedicated to excellence in service, continuous learning, and leadership within the library profession. With diversity as one of its core values, the Library not only seeks to actively recruit and retain a diverse workforce, but also ensures the acquisition of a diverse collection of materials and a climate of openness and respect for all traditions, cultures, and ideas.
The Library actively promotes its values - lifelong learning, collaboration, leadership, quality, integrity, and diversity -in its daily tasks. Whenever possible, the Library offers flexible work schedules and telework options, and supports continuous learning opportunities in order to achieve the highest quality of service that can be offered.
The University offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes health insurance, tuition benefits for employees and their children, retirement benefits, as well as flexible work schedules and telework options.
Please note that COVID-19 has reshaped the way interviews and work locations will be managed at this time. The safety and well-being of our colleagues and applicants is our first priority. The Georgetown University Library anticipates conducting all interviews virtually. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the University's need to limit the number of on-campus employees, the successful applicant may be asked to perform their job remotely for a limited period of time until the University can permit more employees to work on campus.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Lauinger-Library-1st-Floor/Maker-Hub-Manager---Georgetown-University-Library_JR10299
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency