Event Support Specialist
UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Posting Title:
Event Support SpecialistDepartment:
UNT-Coliseum/Gateway Center-163601Job Location:
DentonFull Time/Part Time:
Commiserate with education and experienceDepartment Summary:
University Centers and Events (UCE) encompasses the University Union, Gateway Center and Coliseum. University Centers and Events (UCE), provides quality programs, services, and facilities that enhance the educational experience and create a community for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. We assist students to become good citizens of a global community, prepared to function in a diverse world.
The University of North Texas Coliseum, or “The Super Pit,” is home to the North Texas Men’s and Women’s basketball teams. The arena, designed for functional flexibility, features aesthetic and technical excellence for both patrons and performers. The Coliseum has 9,797 upholstered permanent theater type seats, plus forty-eight positions for wheelchairs.
The Gateway Banquet and Conference Center is a 28,000 square foot, multi-level facility located at the entrance to campus. Gateway services include meeting rooms, outdoor spaces, and an extensive banquet facility.Position Overview:
The Event Support Specialist oversees part-time staging assistants and is directly responsible for setting open lounge spaces, meeting rooms and large multi-function ballroom spaces; and performing minor custodial duties as needed. Tasks are in coordination with the event scheduling staff and supervised directly by the Assistant Director of Operations/Event Production. The event support specialist utilizes Event Management System and Computer Aided Design software to print daily event reports and event space designs to accomplish daily tasks.Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma/GED equivalent and two years related experience with some experience in a lead or supervisory role.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to keep records and complete forms accurately.
• Ability to direct and manage the work of others.
• Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: measuring).
• Physical ability to perform work involving standing, stooping, operating equipment, and lifting.
• Familiar with the campus-wide safety guidelines and procedures that may require wearing protective footwear and or support belts.
• Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
~Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
~Ability to establish rapport, maintain and build ongoing positive relationships with college students, campus staff and all visitors to the University Union.
~Cooperative spirit in working with peers, supervisors, clients and guests.
~Familiarity with event staging and support services.
~Familiarity with space management software.
~Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
*flex based on seasonal event schedule
This is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification Title:
Event Support SpecialistPhysical Requirements:
Carrying, Cleaning, Climbing, Crawling, Driving, Kneeling, Lifting or moving up to 75 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hear, Ability to communicateo:
1) Demonstrates and executes working knowledge of space configuration and event management software.
2) Demonstrates knowledge of equipment, materials and methods required for job performance.
3) Understands meeting room capacities, and uses approved procedures and task frequency to achieve the appropriate level of room set-up specifications.
1) Demonstrates ability to retain and rehire student workforce for continuous operational success.
2) Possesses knowledge and demonstrates ability to train new student staff.
3) Demonstrates ability to schedule student crews in most cost-effective and equitable manner.
4) Demonstrates ability to address performance issues as they occur, promptly and professionally, within UNT and departmental guidelines.
5) Manage and support the area’s student employee leadership model.
1) Quality checks event set-ups to ensure accuracy.
2) Responsible for meeting cleaning standards for areas of responsibility.
3) Executes event set-up change requests in a timely and professional manner.
1) Works in harmony with others through active, positive, and courteous interactions.
2) Effectively conveys appropriate information accurately and rapidly to supervisory personnel, co-workers, and supervised students.
1) Completes all work using safe work habits and methods to prevent injuries.
2) Uses all equipment properly and in the manner intended and directed.
3) Assigned equipment is kept in good work finished with use.
4) Reports any unsafe acts or conditions to supervisor immediately.
1) Identifies and solves problems associated with event set-ups appropriately.
2) Is flexible in accepting assignments, adjusting work priorities and adapting to change.
Resources and Inventory:
1) Exhibits conservation, efficiency, and responsibility in the use of university resources.
2) Conducts annual equipment and furniture inventory for the department.
1) Responsible for the coordination of event set-ups both in and around the Coliseum and Gateway Center.
2) Delivery of event equipment to other locations as required.
S2139PPosition End Date (if temporary):
07/01/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicant review will begin June 14th.Quicklink for Posting: