Business & Finance
VP of Business & Finance
Under minimal supervision performs general accounting activities that are complex and broad in nature, specializing in general ledger and financial report functions; performs related duties as required. Responsible for providing internal accounting support to the College Foundation by evaluating, recommending, and implementing good practices and procedures, and monitoring their compliance. Perform related duties as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The results you will deliver each day that matter most!
Establishes regular procedures and performs scheduled analysis of general ledger balance sheets such as cash and clearing accounts, liability accounts, and inventory accounts;
• Supervises the work of assigned personnel; determines priorities, schedules, reviews vouchers, reconciliation and computations; recommends and provides training to assigned personnel;
• Establishes procedure to ensure ADP payroll is posted correctly to the GL, ensuring salaries and benefits are accurately recorded and payroll liabilities are paid monthly;
• Prepares all monthly , quarterly, and special purpose financial statement for the foundation;
• Works with the Foundation Director and Board to develop and implement all procedures to ensure effectiveness, accuracy and timeliness of Foundation accounting and internal control functions in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices;
• Prepares journal entries; performs bank reconciliations, cash, inter-fund transfers and reconciles general ledger accounts;
• Prepares and reconciles monthly trial balances for each accounting fund. Performs, reviews and reconciles each accounting fund to ensure:
1. debits and credits are in balance in all funds;
2. inter-fund accounts are in agreement;
3. subsidiary ledger balances (such as payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable) agree to the control account balances in the general ledger;
4. clearing and suspense accounts are documented and balances cleared within 30 days.
• Prepares internal and external reports, surveys;
• Prepares annual financial report in cooperation with management and external auditors.
•Collaborates with the Foundation director and auditors to complete their annual financial report and form 990 report;
• Works with Foundation external auditors to answer accounting questions related to the annual foundation audit;
• Attends Foundation Board meetings at the request of the Director to report on the Foundation’s financial position, and to address financial questions from the Foundation Board or citizens;
• Responsible for budget accounts set-up/transfer; general ledger and chart of accounts maintenance and on-line live computerized transactions;
• Establishes regular procedures and performs scheduled analysis of general ledger balance sheets such as cash and clearing accounts, liability accounts, and inventory accounts;
• Reconciles and prepares annual capitalization entries to general ledger;
• Prepares analysis of monthly investment reports for the Board Agenda;
• Analyzes funds for timely movement and transfer from funds and/or journal entries;
• Maintains General Ledger accounts, including additions, deletions and expirations;
• Prepares investment portfolio reports;
• Works closely with Financial Aid Department and Grants Accountant to reconcile ledgers and student accounts for Pell, SEOG, TPEG, and other student financial assistance;
• Maintains reconciliation of property tax receipts between ledger and local tax-assessor/collector;
• Maintains records of fundraising revenues and expenses and insures that budgets are updated to reflect fundraising activities;
• Assists with reconciliation of accounts, grants, budget accounts set-up/transfer; general ledger and chart of accounts maintenance and on-line computerized transactions;
• Researches and clears items in suspense accounts;
• Prepares and reviews journal entries; prepares reconciliation of registration reports to tuition and fees;
• Serves on committees as appointed by the President;
• Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees;
• Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by
participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur;
• Other duties as assigned.
What you will need to be successful!
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting;
• CPA certification preferred;
• Five years of accounting experience, preferably in higher education;
• Broad knowledge of general accounting principles, practices and procedures;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written;
• Attention to detail and ability to cope with several tasks simultaneously, and be deadline oriented;
• Initiative and analytical skills are mandatory;
• Demonstrated skills in the utilization of automated financial systems (Jenzabar & Blackboard) including report generated and in the use of PCs and related software.
Life at Livingstone College
Why we believe you will love working at Livingstone College!!
Livingstone College is a private, four year liberal arts institution founded in 1879 by the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. Secured by a strong commitment to quality instruction, the College offers excellent liberal arts and religious education programs for students designed to develop their potential for leadership and service to a global community.