IT Network Technician
Position: IT Network Technician
Division: Business and Finance
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Chong Dan
The selected individual must have the ability to troubleshoot and resolve network wide hardware and software problems for users; must be able to resolve widely varying problems using current job knowledge and using research and external resources; be highly motivated and have strong customer focus with the ability to interface with all levels of staff. Excellent communication skills a must. Prior help desk support, PC maintenance/repair and/or application software support desirable. Analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN) and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption. Research technology trends, recommend, install and implement network systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Analyze and report network security breaches or attempted breaches.
• Configure and define parameters for installation or testing of local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), hubs, routers, switches, controllers, multiplexers, or related networking equipment.
• Configure security settings or access permissions for groups or individuals across various types of networking hardware.
• Configure wide area network (WAN) or local area network (LAN) switches, routers or related equipment.
• Evaluate local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) performance data to ensure sufficient availability or speed, to identify network problems, or for disaster recovery purposes.
• Identify the causes of networking problems, using diagnostic testing software and equipment.
• Install and configure wireless networking equipment.
• Install network software, including security or firewall software.
• Install new hardware or software systems or components, ensuring integration with existing network systems.
• Perform routine maintenance or standard repairs to networking components or equipment.
• Test computer software or hardware, using standard diagnostic testing equipment and procedures.
• Troubleshoot network or connectivity problems for users or user groups.
• Associates Degree in Management Information Systems, Telecommunications, Computer Science or related field and 4 years networking experience, or equivalent technical/vocational certification such as, CCNA, CompTIA Network+ or Security+ and 5 - 6 years networking experience is preferred.
• Sound fundamental knowledge of computer hardware & networking equipment such as: NGFW, Web-filters, switches, routers, servers, SAN’s, backup appliances, virtual appliances and related peripherals.
• Software and hardware certifications a plus.