Advisor and Tutor
Position Advisor & Tutor
Division: Academic Affairs
Department: Success Center
Reports to: Director of Success Center
Position Summary The Advisor & Tutor is a vital staff person in the Success Center who will provide assistance and outreach to students and campus partners. An advisor/tutor acts as a mentor and coach for students in the first two years of the General Education curriculum. The advisor/tutor plays a key role in inspiring, motivating, and challenging students. He or she will support enrollment, student development and retention services while ensuring high quality learning in accordance with college policies and procedures.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The results you will deliver each day that matter most!
Assist in the Success Center by:
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments.
- Assisting students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks.
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom.
- Teaching skills to improve academic performance, including study strategies, note-taking skills and approaches to answering test
- Demonstrating academic best practices for specific subjects and assignments, including research and writing tactics.
- Developing and distributing teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including study guides.
- Conducting practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation.
- Providing students positive and constructive feedback.
- Feedback on progress where appropriate.
What you will need to be successful!
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. In addition, applicant must have:
Thorough knowledge of a specific academic subject or expertise in
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to clearly explain challenging concepts, provide instructions and deliver feedback.
- Ability to motivate and encourage students to improve their academic performance using effective goal-setting strategies.
- Creativity and flexibility in order to personalize their learning approach for individual students.
- Patience and compassion for students as they develop skills and improve their performance.
Life at Livingstone College
Why we believe you will love working at Livingstone College!!
Livingstone College is a private historically black college that is secured by a strong commitment to quality
instruction, academic excellence, and student success. Through a Christian-based environment suitable for
holistic learning, Livingstone provides excellent business, liberal arts, STEAM, teacher education, and
workforce development programs for students from all ethnic backgrounds designed to promote lifelong
learning and to develop student potential for leadership and service to a global community