Financial Aid Counselor
FINANCIAL AID COUNSELOR
Business & Finance
Director of Financial Aid
Working within federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations, the Financial Aid Counselor provides financial aid information and counseling services to students and families.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, aid eligibility, packaging policies, costs, billing process, indebtedness, money management and financial planning. Also provides general information via e-mail, phone, and personal contact.
2. Answers inquiries to financial aid email account including basic inquires and serves as backup to incoming calls and front desk reception duties.
3. Modifies financial aid packages based on changes in enrollment level, budget adjustments, additional aid, etc. and communicates changes in eligibility to students.
4. Work with Director to certify, originate and disburse federal, private, and institutional student and parent loans.
5. Assists in oversight of document imaging process, writes procedures, and trains staff.
6. Oversees customer service functions of the office to ensure that the high expectations of students, parents, and the Livingstone College community are met.
7. Keeps Director of Financial Aid informed of issues and concerns raised by inquiries; identifies and recommends changes in processes to better expedite financial aid process (both general and student specific)
8. Performs other duties as assigned which support the purpose and initiatives of the Financial Aid Office and the College.
9. Runs disbursement functions in PowerFAIDS and sends disbursement files to Student Accounts for posting.
· Some levels of undergraduates study · Bachelor’s degree preferred · 1 year financial aid experience · Knowledge and understanding of federal and state rules and regulations related to financial aid administration; experience working with PowerFAIDS, Jenzabar, COD, EDConnect and document imaging a plus. · Experience providing exemplary customer service in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with a primary focus on communication and counseling skills, problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:1. Excellent communication and counseling skills (verbal, written, and presentation) 2. Detail oriented and ability to organize and manage multiple projects while working in a high-pressure office during peak business times of the year. 3. Technological competence including experience working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Access), financial aid management systems, websites, etc. 4. Patience, high energy, enthusiasm for helping others 5. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. 6. Ability to work independently and interdependently 7. Team Player 8. Commitment to business and finance functions, enrollment team and overall goals of Livingstone College WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Fast-paced office environment. WORK SCHEDULE:Term: Full Year · Shift: Monday – Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.; Flexible as needed during peak seasons
Livingstone College is a private, four year liberal arts institution founded in 1879 by the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. Secured by a strong commitment to quality instruction, the College offers excellent liberal arts and religious education programs for students designed to develop their potential for leadership and service to a global community.
About Livingstone College: http://Livingstone.edu
Livingstone College is an equal opportunity employer that employs qualified individuals based upon job related qualifications regardless of race, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, medical condition, political affiliation or any other classification proscribed under applicable federal, state or local law. Livingstone College complies with all laws regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled candidates and employees. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the interview process are requested to contact Human Resources in order to arrange such accommodation. We offer competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract.