Writing Center Director
Division: Academic Affairs
Department: Success Center/Academic Support Services
Reports to: Director – Success Center
Work Schedule: Flexible scheduling to support the needs of the Academic Support Centers & Summer Bridge & Beyond including scheduled Saturdays and evenings.
Summary of Job:
The Writing Center Director directs the day-to-day management of the LC Writing Center in an efficient manner that ensures the satisfactory evaluation of all student papers submitted and effectively support student writing efforts. Additionally, the Writing Center Director will support the current QEP efforts as well as the College-Wide Writing Initiative (in).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop standard policies and procedures for evaluating student papers and resume’s.
- Responsible for making request for services, equipment, materials, and supplies
- Maintain an attractive, motivating environment in the Writing Center
- In concert with peer centers conduct outreach to college faculty and the campus at large; develop and facilitate writing workshops
- Make recommendations to Director of Holistic College & Academic Support Services for ways to improve the service
- Meet regularly with the Dean and faculty of English to discuss issues pertinent to the unique writing requirements of their department
- Meet regularly with the Directors of the Academic Support Services to develop assessment tools for tracking the Centers use and efficacy
- Monitor submitted student papers submissions; correspond with students regarding incomplete submissions and/or papers submitted in incorrect format
- Handle external inquiries about Writing Center methods, procedures, policies hours of operation, etc.
- Report to Director of Success Center & Academic Support Centers
- Collect, print and submit to instructors reports of tutoring activity for each student; retain accurate records of student reports for a designated period of time
- Track and report Center activity as required including the quarterly Trustee Board Reports, Annual Report, Weekly Reports and Monthly Reports and SACs reports.
- Training and supervision of peer tutors
- Maintain the Website and promotional materials for the Academic Support Centers & Success Center
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Ensure offices and files are adequately secured on a daily basis
- Serve as the writing instructor for the Developmental Writing Course for the summer Traditional Bridge program
- Support the efforts of the Academic Support Center and the Success Center.
- Support the efforts of Livingstone College
- All duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: Master’s Degree; Writing proficiency; extensive experience teaching and tutoring
- Knowledge of college-level instructional requirements and methods
- Supervisory, managerial, and interpersonal skills
- Broad knowledge of rhetoric and composition
- Knowledge of rules of grammar and punctuation
- Knowledge of various literary genres
- Knowledge of modes of composition typically taught at college level
- Knowledge of composition and writing center theory promoted by authorities in the field
- Knowledge of technology needed to assist students in writing
- Effective keyboarding skills and knowledge of related software applications
- Skilled in making schedules, setting priorities and utilizing resources
- Skilled in managing instruction
- Skilled in the application and transference of rules pertaining to grammar, punctuation, and rhetoric
- Ability to stay current in Writing Center methodology and research
- Ability to produce effective compositions
- Ability to act in a professional and ethical manner in dealings with colleagues and administrators
- Ability to inform the faculty concerning sessions with students who seek writing instruction
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to perform all essential functions of the position
Computer Skills: Writing Center Director should possess the following computer capacity
- Microsoft Office Word
- Microsoft Office Excel/Access
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook