Assistant or Associate Professor of English
Assistant Professor of English
Liberal Arts & Humanities
English and Foreign Language
Chair of the Department of English and Foreign Language
Livingstone College English Department seeks applicants for an Assistant
Professor of English to begin teaching in the Fall 2021. The applicant will
teach various courses at the undergraduate level in English Composition,
Speech, and Literature. Candidates must be committed to utilizing innovative
teaching techniques in the instructional setting and using technology to
enhance student learning. He/she must possess strong communication skills
and be dedicated to providing quality instruction for a diverse body of
students. Teaching experience at the college or university level is required.
The college is committed to diversity in the recruitment of students, faculty,
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The results you will deliver each day that matter most!
- Teach 27 hours per academic year (5 courses in the Fall and 4 courses in the Spring);
- Hold a minimum 8 office hours per week.
- Use Blackboard as an instructional aide to teach, assess student performance, and post student grades.
- Advise and register students; track student progress and performance.
- Use innovative teaching techniques.
- Assist students with enrollment related challenges or issues.
- Assess course outcomes; student satisfaction, student retention and use results to improve program quality.
- Collaborate with the campus community and serve on campus-wide committees.
- Participate in professional organizations and provide community service.
- Perform other duties as assigned as they pertain to the Assistant Professor duties.
What you will need to be successful!
- 3-5 years of teaching experience at the college or university level is preferred;
- Ph.D. in English required;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Native or near-native fluency in spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of best practices for the use of technologies in the classroom;
- Experience with hybrid and online instruction is a definite plus.
- Expertise in an additional area of interest, e.g., Digital Literacies, Digital Media, Social Media, Digital Humanities, Web and Interaction Design, Media Production, and/or Multimodal Composition and Rhetoric is also a definite plus.
Life at Livingstone College
Why we believe you will love working at Livingstone College!!
Livingstone College is a private, four year liberal arts institution founded in 1879 by the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. Secured by a strong commitment to quality instruction, the College offers excellent liberal arts and religious education programs for students designed to develop their potential for leadership and service to a global community.
About Livingstone College: http://Livingstone.edu
Livingstone College is an equal opportunity employer that employs qualified individuals based upon job related qualifications regardless of race, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, medical condition, political affiliation or any other classification proscribed under applicable federal, state or local law. Livingstone College complies with all laws regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled candidates and employees. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the interview process are requested to contact Human Resources in order to arrange such accommodation. We offer competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract.