Research Assistant, Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging
The Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging (KIHA) brings together key strengths from around campus and the region to address growing needs here in Denver and throughout the nation. Designed to address complex problems in depth, the Institute builds on DU's dedication to the public good by supporting research and scholarship on aging in a variety of disciplines. Lab scientists, social workers, psychologists, lawyers, education specialists, business faculty members, and others are routinely involved. The work of the Institute is truly collaborative work, leveraging the assets of the DU community in the discovery and design of knowledge and engagement across our campus and around the world.
The Knoebel Institute for Healthy Aging has an exciting opportunity for a Research Assistant to join Dr. Aurélie Ledreux's laboratory located at the University of Denver in Denver, CO. This is an externally funded half-time benefitted position, which will assist KIHA faculty and staff to reach clinical project goals. The applicant is expected to independently perform blood draws, organize data bases, and process blood samples for later biochemical assessments.
- Work closely with laboratory staff and faculty to coordinate clinical research studies.
- Organize and maintain laboratory reagents and stocks.
- Routinely conduct blood draws in the community at Assisted Living facilities and in homes.
- Preparation of blood samples for analysis.
- Process and analyze blood samples for collaborative studies and help maintain a database for human blood and brain tissues.
- Participate in ongoing lab projects as needed.
- Participate in weekly lab meetings, present and discuss results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft office, including Excel and Word, willing to work flexible hours, and willing to work as part of a team.
- Willing to learn and use new processes, tools, and equipment and work weekends, as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a professional manner as both a self-starter and a team member.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong enthusiasm for science, with possibility to gain authorship on scientific manuscripts and present data at conferences.
- Bachelor's degree in neuroscience, cell biology, molecular biology or biology related field with current certification as a phlebotomist.
- Two years of lab experience.
- Previous experience with clinical interviews and blood biomarkers.
- 2 years or more of work experience as a phlebotomist on humans.
20 Hours per week, Monday - Friday. To be discussed with hiring manager prior to posting. Working in the field requires flexible hours.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Friday, June 11, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number
The salary grade for the position is 5.
The hourly range for this position is $15.00 - $20.00.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidates sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.