Cytogenetic Technologist 2 - Cytogenetics - F/T - Variable Shift - 18639-1A
Updated: Jun 2, 2021
CYTOGENETIC TCHNO 2
Clinical Laboratory Manager 1
Cytogenetic Technologist 2
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Core Laboratory Services, the position is responsible for providing leadership and expertise to direct a comprehensive department wide safety, regulatory affairs, compliance, and quality programs, and oversee Point of Care activities for UC Irvine Health. The scope of responsibility includes regulatory and quality oversight of the clinical and pathology laboratories including Transfusion Medicine and affiliated external laboratories within UCI as directed. Additionally, this position has responsibilities for the development and maintenance of a comprehensive Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement Program integrating all phases of the laboratory operations.
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships across the Health System
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the Health System
- Ability to maintain a work pace appropriate to the workload
- Must demonstrate customer service skills appropriate to the job
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Must possess the skill, knowledge and ability essential to the successful performance of assigned duties
- Current California state Cytogenetics CLS License.
- At least 10 years of laboratory experience in both karyotype and FISH study of cancer samples.
- Demonstrates knowledge of laboratory concepts, new methodologies and advances in the field of specimen processing, automation, and procedures. Ability to apply principles in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant sub-specialty area industry, health and safety, federal, and state regulations.
- Ability to organize assignments and laboratory operations in an efficient and effective manner. Highly developed personal organizational skills. Knowledge of quality assurance methods and ability to apply principles to design quality systems.
- Ability to use laboratory's application programs. Skill and ability to perform data checks using queries, visual review and other appropriate means to verify data accuracy.
- Ability to evaluate issues and identify solutions within defined procedures and policies. Demonstrated ability to solve problems and suggest solutions through critical thinking process.
- Exhibits interpersonal skills to independently convey information with authority, handle highly sensitive matters and interact with high level contacts from other organizations.
- Skill and ability to perform mathematical calculations to include: adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers, fractions, and decimals with and without a calculator to derive results.
- Ability to respond clearly, concisely, and cooperatively to questions from other technologists, unlicensed staff, or supervisory staff regarding how procedures/duties were or should be performed, validity of test results, etc.
- Must be willing to testify in court regarding testing activities if subpoenaed.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of Clinical Laboratory, medical center, HR and UC policies and processes.
- Knowledge of University and medical center organizations, policies, procedures and forms
Physical, Mental, & Environmental Demands
To comply with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the essential physical, mental and environmental requirements for this job are listed below. These are requirements normally expected to perform regular job duties. Incumbent must be able to successfully perform all of the functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.