Dir-Advancement Services (Controller)
Dir-Advancement Services (Controller)Posting Number:
Dir-Advancement ServicesWorking Title:
Dir-Advancement Services (Controller)Classification Code:
1453RCW Exemption Criteria:
16 - Principal AssistantEWU Position Number:
A-196430 - Chief Campus Advancement Services AdministratorFLSA:
Exempt - Administrative% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
AE - EXEMSalary Information:
$80,000 – $100,000Anticipated Start Date:
As soon as possibleTerm of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Advancement Services – Controller
- The Director of Advancement Services (Controller) manages several functions within University Advancement and the EWU Foundation operation. These functions include advancement and foundation accounting, gift processing, database management, financial and fundraising reporting, prospect management, prospect research, and information systems. The Director will also represent Advancement as a liaison to various departments around campus.
- Please see below under Proposed Job Duties for a more complete job description.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
- University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree & CPA certification.
- Three (3) years full-time professional experience in financial statement preparation and accounting management.
- Five (5) years of supervisor experience
- Demonstrated interpersonal, presentation and strong writing skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Proven ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with computer applications (Excel, Power Point, Database, Word Processing).
- Non-profit accounting experience and knowledge of working with non-profit boards.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Night and weekend work as needed for events and engagement.
05/21/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
06/07/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
1.Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2.Attach a chronological resume including work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position. Please list at least 3 professional references including: names, titles, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and connection to you (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3.Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4.Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Application% of Time:
10Responsibility / Duty:
Customer Service & Communication
•Ensure Advancement Services personnel provide external and internal partners with timely, adequate and accurate financial, prospect, and information system data
•Works to ensure Advancement Services personnel responses to telephone, in person and written communication with external and internal partners is positive and friendly
•Cultivates a culture of support and service for other Advancement units
Yes% of Time:
10Responsibility / Duty:
Research & Prospect Management
•Determine priorities for prospect research ensuring proactive data research, collection and entry into database and files
•Oversee provision of written and verbal reports to Development and other staff to further fundraising activities
•Oversee prospect management and use of Millennium and Blackbaud to support it
•Oversee development of policies, procedures, processes and support for using prospect moves management in Development
Yes% of Time:
10Responsibility / Duty:
•Oversee policies, procedures, data, data integrity and training for alumni and development system, Millennium and Blackbaud
•Oversee policies, procedures, data and data integrity related to the accounting system, MIP, Blackbaud and Fundriver
•Interface with central information services staff in the areas of regular maintenance, report development, and software upgrades as require
Yes% of Time:
40Responsibility / Duty:
Cash & Risk Management
•Ensure finance and operations controls and policies are established and observed, and effective follow up processes are in place
•Ensure the Foundation is in compliance with all federal, state, local and internal policies and relevant regulations and filings are completed in a timely manner
•Manage all methods of receiving, controlling and receipting items of value on behalf of the Foundation including checks, cash, securities, credit cards, on-line charges, gift in kinds
•Manage Gift Processing, including pledge entry and receipt generation
•Ensure appropriate review and timely payment of accounts payables
•Manage ongoing banking relationships for maximum efficiency
•Develop cash flow forecasting and maintain a long term cash forecast
•Assist Investment Committee with endowment pool and oversee and minor investment pool moving cash as needed
Yes% of Time:
25Responsibility / Duty:
•Assist Directors in preparing annual operating budgets for all units within University Advancement
•Develop regular reporting and analysis, including key metrics reports, and conduct ad hoc financial and cost analysis as required
•Develop and oversee accounting policies and procedures to meet current and future business models
•Responsible for all financial reporting for the Foundation
•Prepare and present monthly and year-to-date financials for the Foundation with accompanying analysis of results
•Prepare campaign and fundraising reporting for the EWU Foundation
•Maintain up to date account balance information for all Foundation accounts
•Prepare annual operating budget for Foundation
•Prepare the financial section of the Foundation annual report and other reports as needed
•Oversee the Foundation external audit, review and analyze results and recommend for approval
•Prepare all tax filings such as the 1099s and 990s
•Manage endowment including distributions and donor communication
•Lead Finance and Audit Committee meetings and financial presentations
Yes% of Time:
5Responsibility / Duty:
•Act as primary staff resource to the volunteer Foundation Board Committees: Finance and Audit and Investment
•Special projects as assigned by the Vice President of University Advancement