Employee Relations Specialist
Job no: 501439
Work type: Full-time
Location: Various locations
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:00-5:00)
Employee Relations Specialist
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000 - $84,800 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
The Employee Relations Specialist facilitates resolution of employee issues and concerns by providing guidance and consultation regarding problem-solving, dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, litigation avoidance, and resolving internal conflict informally through appropriate conflict management and mediation techniques.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Foundational knowledge and understanding of employment and HR-related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts, and best practices.
· Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems. Ability to listen and make decisions based on the facts.
· Demonstrated ability to influence, coach, and gain buy-in with employees at all levels. Able to maintain a high degree of professionalism, integrity and discretion is required.
· Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to diffuse and respond professionally to stressful situations and difficult people.
· Advanced listening, oral and written communication skills, and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups. Must have excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, strong preference for a major in human resources, business administration, or related focus. Official transcripts are required.
· Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and certifications, which together total six (6) years, may be substituted.
· Two (2) years of professional, full-time experience in Human Resources. Experience should include conflict resolution and working with leaders on performance improvement.
· Demonstrated knowledge of employment and labor laws.
· Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Outlook, Teams, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), and other software applications related to job functions.
· Professional HR certification is preferred (e.g., PHR, or SHRM-CP).
· Must have valid driver's license if traveling to off-site locations.
· ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check.***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide consultation and recommendations to supervisors and staff in the interpretation of policies and procedures. Advise on workplace issues and disciplinary actions, including terminations, warnings, and grievances.
· Provide frontline support in the prevention, investigation, resolution, and referral of employee relations problems.
· Collaborate with supervisors on the development and review of supporting documentation. Provide guidance, direction, support, and technical assistance to supervisors to prepare coaching plans and counseling tools, such as Constructive Action Plans, disciplinary memoranda and letters, and performance evaluations aligned with the College's policies and practices.
· Conduct prompt, thorough, objective, and confidential investigations of internally filed complaints alleging unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, as well as allegations of violations of Dallas College policy and procedure, and unfair treatment. As part of this process, conduct interviews, gather evidence and produce reports or other documentation in response to the claim.
· Prepare written responses and recommend corrective actions. Maintain accurate, timely, and required documentation of activities to ensure quality employee relation records and metrics. Resolve complex matters in a consistent, empathetic, and legally sound manner.
· Maintain Constructive Action Process (CAP) monitoring and follow-up with managers on steps within the process. Interpret and explain policies, procedures, and regulations connected to employee-related issues.
· Recognize compliance issues and suggest solutions or best practices to address issues. Audit existing processes and workflows, augment, streamline, and refine as required by new laws, policies, regulations, and human resources initiatives.
· Develop, refine, and maintain employee relations tracking systems; collect and analyze employee relations data and prepare periodic reports.
· Develop and provide employee relations training to supervisors as needed. Recommend individual and customized learning and development solutions for employees with performance issues.
· Partner with Total Rewards team to facilitate the departure process of employees who leave voluntarily. Conduct exit interviews, collect and analyze data, make recommendations based on findings.
· Remain current on all areas related to federal, state, and local employment, civil rights, and labor laws. Maintain awareness of new and revised federal and state employment, benefit, affirmative action, and equal opportunity legislation, regulations, and judicial rulings.
· Must complete required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year. Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Senior Director, Talent
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Advertised: 04 Jun 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 18 Jun 2021 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time