Emergency Management, Assistant Director
Job no: 495730
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Safety and Security
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position is responsible for directing and managing a comprehensive emergency management program to include all phases of mitigation of, preparedness for, response to, and recovery from major incidents occurring at the University.Level Scope:
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.Essential Functions:
● Position develops emergency management policies and plans that comply with and follow national, state, and local emergency management directives, regulations, policies, standards and guidance.
● Position is responsible for authoring, enhancing, updating, maintaining, and appropriately distributing the University Comprehensive Emergency Operations Plan along with ensuring the content of such plans is congruent with best practices for emergency actions.
● Position is responsible to develop, implement, schedule, and conduct training programs for senior administrators and department leads in Emergency Management/Emergency Response for the concept of operations described in the Boise State University Emergency Operations Plan.
● Position will coordinate with and foster relationships with regional emergency management organizations such as Ada City-County Emergency Management, American Red Cross, Boise Police, Boise Fire, Ada County Paramedics, local hospitals, etc. for the purpose of better integrating Boise State into the community emergency management fabric and ensuring Boise State is a priority in a local emergency.
● Position will lead the Emergency Operations Center team determining needed and available resources (e.g., technical expertise, equipment, and capacities, as well as future sources, to support emergency activities.
● Position manages activation of Continuity of Operations Plans following a major emergency and disruption of University operations.
● Position identifies, recommends, and implements programs to reduce the frequency, severity, and cost of disasters, injuries, fatalities, and impact on critical University infrastructure and the environment.
● Position is responsible to seek after grants and other funding opportunities to enhance the Comprehensive Emergency Management Program and the readiness of Boise State University.
● Position manages the Emergency Operations Center duties during an emergency until the University is back to normal operations.
● Required to respond to campus within 60 minutes: on call 24/7 for emergencies
● Provides leadership and management of the Emergency Management Program under the supervision and coordination of his/her chain-of-command.
○ Includes the hiring, discipline, and termination of administrative personnel.
○ Manages employees’ scheduling, work assignments, communication, and personnel development.
○ Evaluates employee performance, gives regular feedback, and conducts annual performance reviews.
○ Leads a unified team for the entire Department, assisting with communication, team building, professional development, incentives, and compensation review programs.
○ Ensures customer service for the entire Department and campus community.
○ Monitors work activities to ensure compliance with policies and procedures. Makes recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards, policies, and procedures.
○ Manages workflow and productivity of personnel to ensure that the needs of the department and campus community are met.
● Develops standard operating procedures during emergency responses affecting Boise State University.
● Develops, implements, and manages Continuity of Operations Plans for both the University and all Departments/Colleges to ensure the capability to continue essential functions during all-hazards.
● Will either lead, participate in, and support various committees/working groups, to include the Emergency Policy Group, the Emergency Operations Group, the Event Management Planning Group, The Safety & Security Committee, the Emergency Management Planning Group, and others as required.
● Position will manage components of emergency management program(s) and activities as outlined in the Emergency Operations Plan when activated during an emergency incident.
● Position will direct and manage all components of the campus emergency notification system.
● Position will serve as a primary or alternate emergency response coordinator and as such will direct response activities during an emergency or crisis within the appropriate delegated authority.
● Position is responsible for reviewing campus practices and operations to identify issues, observations, shortfalls, and solutions in order to mitigate against loss and reduce risk.
● Campus Security Authority: This position is identified as a “Campus Security Authority (CSA)” per the federal law known as the Clery Act. Per this law, the employee is required to report any crimes that he/she becomes aware of to the Clery Compliance Officer. Additionally, CSAs are required to complete annual training prescribed by the Clery Compliance Officer.
● Skills in analysis and problem solving.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to prepare and present professional reports and program materials.
● Demonstrated knowledge of the National Incident Management System.
● Experience interacting with local, state and federal representatives of government,
volunteer organizations, public officials and business and community organizations
● Experience managing and running Emergency Operations Center during emergencies
● Experience in Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP) Model
● Ability to conduct After-Action Reports Identifying issues, observations, lessons learned and recommended corrective actions
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience including 3 years managerial experiencePreferred Qualifications:
● Education accomplished through the Emergency Management Institute administered by FEMA; completion of ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800
● 3-5 Years of relevant Emergency Management work experience at Institution of Higher Education
● Desired Certifications: Certified Emergency Management (CEM) or ability to complete within 1st three years of employment
● Experience coordinating with large campus organizations with multiple priorities, to include Academic, Research, and Information Technology
● Working knowledge of computer systems, database and spreadsheet management, and fluency with Microsoft Office products
● Ability to use technology to work and communicate, and the ability to assist in developing strategies for the use of technology for online collaboration tools, video conferencing, etc.
● Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
● Emergency experience and relationships with Fire, Police, FEMA and other first responders
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Resume, Cover Letter, and References
Advertised: June 4, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: June 20, 2021 11:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time