Student Development Specialist
Employment Status:Full time (29-40 Hrs) Closing:6/15/21 Proposed Salary Range:Commensurate with Experience Type of Employment:Staff Location:ASU-Jonesboro
Please note: All postings close at 12 A.M. CST on the closing date. A-State participates in E-Verify.
Arkansas State University (A-State) seeks an organized, engaging Regional Admissions Counselor working from the Jonesboro Campus to recruit high school students and transfer students from two-year colleges in the Northeastern Arkansas and Southern Missouri territory including ASU Newport, Arkansas Northeastern College, Black River Technical College, and Three Rivers Community College in Missouri. The primary duty of the Admissions Counselor is to represent A-State to college transfers, military veterans, and other adults in the assigned region, and connect them with the right programs and resources to help them get the most out of the college experience at A-State. This individual will meet with students to assess their academic standing and extracurricular activities, inform them about colleges, programs, and majors, and connect them with resources that will help them enroll and pay for educational expenses. They will conduct student interviews, arrange campus tours, conduct information sessions, and represent A-State at transfer college fairs and other recruiting or outreach initiatives.
The successful applicant must be committed to learning more about the students they will work with and how they may benefit from specific programs at A-State. The regional Admissions Counselor must be a self-starter, be self-motivated, and display exceptional interpersonal, communication, organizational, and time management skills. Must be able to adopt technology quickly; experience with a CRM and/or SIS will be viewed favorably.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist students in high schools, colleges, and universities to help them select, prepare for, and be admitted to A-State; Assist students seeking to transfer to A-State from their current school. Specific duties will include building relationships with prospective transfer, graduate, post-baccalaureate, adult undergraduate, veterans and non-traditional students to attract well-suited candidates to A-State programs; Highlight the benefits of specific A-State programs and courses in order to attract students and encourage diversity on campus; Stay informed about current A-State admission processes and requirements, programs, majors, and courses, and developments in education and financial aid; Organize recruiting events and represent A-State at college fairs, high schools, and other promotional opportunities; Conduct interviews, review application materials, and assist students in the admissions decision making process; Arrange campus tours and conduct information sessions; Formulate recruitment strategies, plans and goals for the region based on demographic analyses, market research and other admissions data;Develop and maintain an active alumni network to plan events and provide information on career opportunities in their field and potential private scholarship funding; Maintain accurate and current knowledge of educational legislation, trends, developments, and resources that directly impact college-bound students;
• Ability to make independent decisions considering input from appropriate sources, and accept feedback positively
• Must be self-motivated, creative, customer-service focused, and detail-oriented
• Rapid acquisition of knowledge regarding A-State programs, majors, admissions requirements and processes, and scholarship and financial aid resources
• Superior active listening, verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work and stay organized in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
• Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and successfully complete projects and events
• Ability to work flexible hours which may include nights, weekends, and holidays
• Ability to travel regionally and nationally as required for recruitment activities
• Possess a valid driver’s license and have the ability to drive
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Some evenings and weekends for recruiting events
Regular and reliable attendance
Please note: all position postings close at 12:00 A.M. CST on the position closing date
• An earned Bachelor’s degree
• Experience in college admissions is preferred
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
E-Verify Participation Notice:
E-Verify Right to Work: