Director of Strategy & Effectiveness
University of Colorado | CU Denver
Administration and Finance for the Denver Campus
Director of Strategy & Effectiveness
Position #00784945 – Requisition #21595
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
** This posting is ONLY open to current University of Colorado employees *
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Administration and Finance for the Denver Campus has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Strategy & Effectiveness position.
As Colorado’s public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research, creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver graduates gain the powerful combination of immersive classroom and real-world experience that are in demand today. The city benefits from well-educated, top talent and a new generation of knowledge that fuels the future of Denver and our region. We are CU in the City. CU Denver offers more than 100 degree programs, from the bachelor’s to the doctoral level, in the heart of downtown. Here, more than 15,000 students pursue academic programs that range from global energy management to music industry studies to criminal justice. As part of the state’s largest public university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with nearly 2,500 employees and annual economic impact of $800 million. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here. Position Emphasis
Reporting to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration and Strategy, the Director of Strategy and Effectiveness is a high impact and high visibility role, responsible for managing the implementation of an ambitious, 10-year strategic agenda, developing the infrastructure and organizational muscle needed to deliver on these ambitions, and driving execution across the organization. This role will work hand-in-hand with the executive leadership, including the Chancellor, Provost, Executive Vice Chancellor, Senior Vice Chancellor, Chief Financial Officer, and Vice Chancellor for Communications to support the identification, prioritization, and communication of university-level strategic priorities. Additionally, this role will partner with the Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration and Strategy to drive agendas and the coordination of strategic priorities with units across the organization and within the Administration and Strategy teams. Supervision Received
This position reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration & Strategy. Supervision Exercised
This position will supervise project managers, business analysts, and change managers as the Administration and Strategy function is built out. Key Responsibilities
Salary and Benefits:
- Ensuring the successful implementation of a 10-year strategic plan.
- Leveraging institutional knowledge to build a tailored strategy infrastructure that enables CU Denver to realize its ambitions.
- Partnering with executive leadership to set a successful strategic agenda that identifies opportunities, prioritizes ambitions, and sustains progress over time.
- Convening and leading teams to develop and execute organization-wide initiatives within the strategic agenda.
- Developing an effective approach to identifying, tracking, and reporting metrics that illuminate progress toward goals and build organizational energy around our strategic ambitions.
- Working with University Communications communicate ambitions and progress, ensuring transparency, accountability, and strategic context for the organization.
- Coordinating with leaders and units across the organization to support strategy development and ensure alignment to the university’s strategic direction.
- Designing a cascading goal setting and performance infrastructure that ensures individual alignment to the strategic plan and fosters personal and professional growth.
- Creating and championing a strategic and best-practices-oriented culture across the university to catalyze progress toward our ambitions.
- Ensuring leaders are continually apprised of the strategic landscape—within higher education and external—to anticipate and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
- Managing annual strategy retreats and ongoing strategy meetings for executive and university leadership.
- Serving as a creative thought partner to leaders and project teams.
- Partnering with the EVC Administration and Strategy to coordinate and execute strategic priorities, as well as drive agendas across the Administration and Strategy function.
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $65,067 to $91,094. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education At least 5 years of experience developing and implementing large-scale strategic planning initiatives, preferably at an institution of higher education.Extensive, diverse, and progressively responsible experience working with various business functions on goal setting, benchmarking, and strategic planning.Deep experience working with executive-level leadership to identify, prioritize, and execute strategic opportunities.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders with differing viewpoints and needs on strategic-level challenges.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Prior experience working in higher education.
- Experience interfacing with executive-level leaders to assess needs, develop plans, and move those plans into action with demonstrated success in doing so.
- Deeply focused and results-oriented
- Keen understanding of strategy and ability to envision the future
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend or implement an effective course of action
- Ability to plan, prioritize and oversee multiple projects, meet deadlines for deliverables
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence all levels of the organization
- Ability to effectively organize and report large amounts of information
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with diverse internal and external audiences
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Deep understanding of and experience in strategic thinking and leadership with a proactive approach to building and implementing cross-functional teams aimed at achieving strategic objectives.
Business ServicesPrimary Location:
Jun 4, 2021Unposting Date:
Jun 11, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University