Catering Supervisor - University Housing (147763)
University Housing- Dining
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Under general supervision from a designated supervisor, individuals in this series plan and supervise food service for special groups such as banquets, receptions, simple service, conference luncheons, and dinners. These vacancies may occur in departments across the Urbana-Champaign campus. A Catering Supervisor typically:
- advises potential customers on best options for catering services to meet particular needs including menu planning
- coordinates and discusses plans for each function with clients (i.e. dignitaries) and appropriate personnel working directly with chefs including pastry chef, service managers, floral designers to estimate a menu’s cost, ingredients/supplies, etc. for catered (small, large) events
- oversees and coordinates preparation and executes catered events by making arrangements for catering including cost menus, estimates, bids, set-ups, floral arrangements decorations, and/or transportation; serves as primary contact person and/or liaison throughout an event (i.e. banquet, reception, etc.) checking food items before serving to ensure adherence to client’s expectations, and to establish standards and guidelines
- assists in the control of overhead and labor costs, requisitions food, equipment, and supplies to ensure sound fiscal management practices are being followed and quality and timely services are being provided
- maintains records and other forms such as accident reports, event reports, alcoholic beverage forms, work schedules and procedures, etc.
- is responsible for detecting malfunctions and ensuring proper repair of all kitchen equipment and machinery; checks contracts, correspondences, and catering arrangements
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Two (2) years (24 months) of responsible work experience in food service that includes event planning within a catering environment
For more information about this classification:
Catering Supervisor positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (37.5 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum stating salary is $18.55 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at http://jobs.illinois.edu/ and exam request form for Catering Supervisor. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for correspondence from: [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137, [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:University Housing Category:7-Service Operations Title:Catering Supervisor - University Housing (147763) Open Date:06/04/2021 Close Date:06/28/2021 Organization Name:Housing Division