Culinary Worker II - University Housing (147736)
Culinary Worker II
University Housing- Dining Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
These employees perform routine and repetitive kitchen tasks such as simple food preparations prior to simple process cooking or serving raw food; compile and prepare ingredients prior to cooking; set table, serve food and clean-up food service equipment and areas. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor. These vacancies may occur in departments across the Urbana-Champaign campus. The Culinary Worker II typically:
- prepares or assists in the preparation of food items, including such tasks as cleaning, dicing, and peeling vegetables, and weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients.
- performs simple cooking, grilling, and food preparation, such as boiling eggs, making toast, and making coffee; preparing/cooking short order items such as hot cereals, eggs, sausage, bacon, etc.; grilling such as for hamburgers, hot dogs, or chicken; and assisting in mixing, kneading, panning, and baking bread/pastries.
- prepares and assists in serving of food as required. Portions, serves and wraps the food, or places it directly on plates for service to patrons, such as cutting pies or sandwiches and making sodas.
- places food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or stores them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- cleans and sanitizes work areas, counters, tables, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- may oversee and train student assistants and/or assigned personnel as required.
- may participate in planning menus, overseeing and/or training staff/students on simple operations.
- fills beverage or ice dispensers.
- makes minor adjustments to equipment in service area; reports equipment failures to the designated supervisor, maintains equipment and supplies needed in service area.
- completes and maintains basic recordkeeping functions.
- performs duties consistent with the lower level in this series.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Based on institutional standards, as required by the Illinois Department of Public Health, a Food Handler Training certification (from an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited trainer) may be required upon hire or a newly selected employee may be required to complete this training during an initial training period.
2. Six (6) months of experience in food preparation in a commercial setting.
For more information about this classification:
Culinary Worker II positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum stating salary is $14.77 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at http://jobs.illinois.edu/ and exam request form for Culinary Worker II. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illinois Human Resources Operations Category:7-Service Operations Title:Culinary Worker II - University Housing (147736) Open Date:06/04/2021 Close Date:06/28/2021 Organization Name:Housing Division