Culinary Worker III - University Housing (147745)
Culinary Worker III
University Housing- Dining Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
These employees typically prepare food by various methods with a full variety of menu items from standardized and portion size recipes, dietary manuals, oral or written instructions and cycle menus including preparing modified diets. They may direct lower level kitchen tasks performed by others regarding the serving of food, kitchen cleanup procedures and minor food preparation, such as peeling vegetables, making toast, mixing juice, etc. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor. These vacancies may occur in departments across the Urbana-Champaign campus. The Culinary Worker III typically:
- prepares food for cooking, such as cleaning and cutting meat, fish, or poultry.
- cooks food items including grilling, baking, braising, frying, and deep frying.
- performs recipe construction, recipe sizing for meats, poultry, fish, vegetables, starches, soups, sauces, gravies, vegetarian, and vegan items.
- bakes bread, rolls, cakes, and other pastries, from scratch or mix.
- prepares and cooks cereal, soup, fruits, meats, fish, poultry, gravies, vegetables, and prepares other foods (i.e. salads, desserts).
- cooks quantity food items based on the number of portions to be served, according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions.
- cleans and inspects equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- oversees and/or directs activities of workers who assist in preparing and serving meals; trains employees.
- compiles and maintains records of food use and expenditures, takes inventory of supplies and equipment, and prepares simple reports.
- plans the disposal of left-over food, following procedures and supervisor approval.
- performs duties consistent with the lower level in this series.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1.Based on institutional standards, as required by the Illinois Department of Public Health, a Food Handler Training certification (from an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited trainer) may be required upon hire or a newly selected employee may be required to complete this training during an initial training period.
2.One (1) year (12 months) of experience in food service cooking in a commercial setting that is comparable to that described in the lower level of this series.
For more information about this classification:
Culinary Worker III positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum stating salary is $15.99 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at http://jobs.illinois.edu/ and exam request form for Culinary Worker III. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:University Housing Category:7-Service Operations Title:Culinary Worker III - University Housing (147745) Open Date:06/04/2021 Close Date:06/28/2021 Organization Name:Housing Division