Director of Research Operations and Environmental Health and Safety
Director of Research Operations and Environmental Health and SafetyPosition Type:
EP - EHRA 12 mo leave earningUniversity Information:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN) combines the genuine excellence of two great universities, North Carolina A&T State University (NC A&T SU) and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG), to bring interdisciplinary research and education in nanotechnology. The unique strength of JSNN is a result of the strengths of the two institutions, industrial partners, and exceptional faculty. JSNN brings together a community of scholars, students, and professional staff who share a commitment to excellence and a desire to make a difference in people’s lives.Position Summary:
The major role of this position is to oversee all operations at JSNN related to research activities conducted by faculty, Research Staff, and students. The role will be responsible for developing, managing, and maintaining a comprehensive environmental health and safety program for JSNN that covers chemical hygiene, biological hazards (oversight of BSL2 and BSL3 research activities) and biosecurity, and radiation safety. The role will oversee the implementation of policies and procedures for research operations and programs that will ensure minimization of risk and exposure to unsafe conditions and facilities for employees, students, and visitors. The position will be responsible for training all researchers in all matters related to safety, and may also serve as a guest lecturer for courses that cover safety related matters.Minimum Qualifications:
(1). Master’s Degree in a discipline related to environmental health and safety or a bachelor’s degree and an equivalent amount of education and experience.
(2). Over 5 years of experience overseeing a comprehensive environmental health and safety program at an academic institution, or a high-level research facility.
(3). Candidates must have a strong knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations.
(4). Candidates must possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
(5). Understanding of maintaining operations for a research facility.
(6). Demonstrated evidence of work experience that ensured building/facility operation safety and security.
(7). Effective written and verbal communication skills.
(1). Experience overseeing and prioritizing multiple demanding projects.
(2). Strong business and leadership acumen.
(3) Certified Safety professional is preferred.
(4). Significant experience in understanding and overseeing BSL2 and BSL3 operations.
(5). Ability to easily adapt to a dynamic research environment.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment Range:
Salary commensurate with experience.Org #-Department:
Dean's Office - NN - 13201Job Open Date:
06/07/2021For Best Consideration Date:
06/14/2021Open Until Filled:
1.000Type of Appointment:
PermanentNumber of Months per Year:
ExemptPercentage Of Time:
General EH&S ManagementEssential Tasks:
- Develops, implements, and administers policies and procedures to ensure that all labs are safe and adhere to safety regulations.
- Ensures that all labs are compliant with OSHA requirements and other regulatory agencies.
- Ensures that material safety data sheets are maintained and readily accessible when needed.
- Oversees Radiation Safety Program.
- Oversees the chemical waste management program.
EH&S TrainingEssential Tasks:
- Provides regular scheduled training programs for specific lab operations focused on radiation safety, biosafety and biosecurity, and chemical hygiene.
- Develops and implements safety procedures and processes.
- Evaluates jobs, work stations, facilities for safety issues and maintains appropriate records.
- Provides methods to identify and communicate information about hazards present in the area.
Research OperationsEssential Tasks:
- Ensures that the facility is functioning up to the required State guidelines and that support is sought as needed.
- Supports Research Associate to maintain and update laboratory safety plans.
- Supports Research Associates in updating and maintaining laboratory safety signage.
- Oversees general laboratory inspection.
- Directs the oversight of shared space and equipment.
- Conducts exposure assessment.
- Inspects safety showers and eyewashes.
- Inspects fume hood performance.
- Identifies employees/operations requiring respiratory protection.
- Responsible for post-accident investigations and corrective actions.
- Implements strategies for continuous improvement.
Biosafety and BiosecurityEssential Tasks:
- Coordinates biohazardous was disposal with vendor.
- Provides weekly validation of autoclave with treatment of infectious material.
- Oversees biosafety cabinet certification.
- Maintains proper function of the BSL3 facility.
- Oversees the bloodborne pathogens safety program and training.
EH&S Committee Oversight and ParticipationEssential Tasks:
Participates in, or chairs committees:
- JSNN Laboratory safety committee
- Institutional review board
- Institutional biosafety committee
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Hand Movement-Grasping - C, Reading - C, Writing - C, Hearing - C, Talking - C, Standing - F, Sitting - F, Climbing-Stairs - O, Reaching - FWork Environment:
Inside - C