Grants and Contracts Managers
Search #: 495319
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Grants and Contracts
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) is actively recruiting senior/advanced-level, sponsored research grants and contracts professionals to fill three supervisory roles in support of expanding research activities at the University of Connecticut. These supervisors each oversee a team supporting sponsored program Pre-award or Post-award activities. The OVPR is responsible for overseeing the $286 million annual research enterprise across all UConn campuses, including UConn Health.
Working under the general direction of a Sponsored Program Services (SPS) leader, the Grants and Contracts Managers are responsible for leading a designated team for a prescribed portfolio of sponsored project activity, with a specialization in either pre-award or post-award services.
The Managers will provide day-to-day guidance to an assigned SPS team, and will have accountability for the quality of unit work, development of standards, prioritization of assignments, and the evaluation of unit output. These positions will be required to participate in the provision of unit services in an effort to maintain efficiency, but the primary function of the position rests in the supervision of team members and the services provided.
We are seeking to fill positions in each of the following areas: Pre-Award, Post-Award, and Faculty Services Pre-Award. The Pre and Post Award roles are responsible for the management and authoritative operational processing and oversight of sponsored research, grants and contracts. Faculty Services is a centralized shared service unit proving direct proposal preparation support to investigators, therefore this role is responsible for the management and performance of proposal preparation and other pre-award activities for a dedicated portfolio of researchers/departments.
The ideal candidates for these positions will be energetic, self-starters, with senior/advanced-level and/or supervisory experience in the areas of pre-award or post-award sponsored research administration, who can work effectively independently and as a member of an operational team. Preferred candidates will have experience in a university or comparable organizational setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- At least six years of related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of federal regulations, sponsor guidelines, and the Federal Office of Management and Budget Uniform Guidance (2C.F.R. Part 200), as they relate to sponsored program activity.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, and follow-through and the ability to balance multiple priorities at once.
- Ability to work effectively within tight timelines and deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team and between teams, as well as constituents external to the centralized research administration office.
- Considerable critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Excellent computer skills, including spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to develop and deliver technical training.
- Experience working in higher education research administration.
- Supervisory experience and ability to plan, direct and evaluate the work of others.
- Reputation for proactively identifying problems and resolving conflicts, or independently facilitating satisfactory resolutions, requiring tact, skill, and diplomacy.
- Experience using InfoEd or similar.
- Knowledge of grant requirements for DOE, DOD, NSF, or NIH.
- Experience working collaboratively with faculty to advance their scientific endeavors.
- Strong financial skills
Additional Preferred Qualifications for Pre-Award Position
- Experience reviewing and submitting sponsored project proposals
- Experience with grants.gov, ASSIST, Proposal Central or FASTLANE
Additional Preferred Qualifications for Faculty Services Position
- Experience preparing grant proposals
- Experience preparing budgets
- Experience with grants.gov, ASSIST, Proposal Central or FASTLANE
Additional Preferred Qualifications for Post-Award Position
- Knowledge of accounting standards and principles.
- Proficient knowledge of Kuali Financial Systems or similar.
This is a 35-hour per week, full-time, 12-month permanent position, with an excellent benefits package including medical and retirement, as well as employee and dependent tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut (outlined here: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/). Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, employees are currently telecommuting until further notice. Upon approval to return to campus, employees are anticipated to be primarily based on the UConn main campus in Storrs.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494319 to upload a resume, cover letter demonstrating how the qualifications and requirements of the position are met, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Inquiries may be addressed to Laurie Pudlo, Administrative Manager, at [email protected]. Candidates are asked to indicate which position they prefer, but will be evaluated for all positions.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on June 25, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jun 04 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 25 2021 Eastern Daylight Time