Practice Manager Orthopedics
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
- Monitors and assists in development of the annual budget including projection for annual physician, procedural and ancillary visits.
- Ensures achievement of budget performance and strives to outperform the budgeted margin for the practice (revenue/visit; net income/visit).
- Identifies/reviews P&L, charges, and expenses regularly to ensure accuracy and ensures operational revenues cover operational costs, especially for new services/programs.
- Monitors & ensures coding flags/recommendations are promptly attended to and appropriately edited by providers.
- Develops and revises contingency plans monthly to ensure patient access and visit volume targets are met.
- Reviews operational reports (missing charges, late charges, open encounters, denials, etc.) to identify trends or issues and follows through on addressing any issues.
- Determines and justifies needs for systems equipment and supply purchases. In collaboration with the Medical Director, develops and reports on justifications for capital equipment and new programs.
- Assesses and revises, as necessary, an appropriate staffing/skill mix for the practice and applicable diagnostic and procedural areas.
- Assesses and adjusts exam and procedural room assignments to physicians and Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) to maximize efficiency and improve workflows.
- Communicates and ensures compliance with CU policies and procedures.
- Reviews and implements all necessary operational policies and ensures alignment with organizational policies. Follows chain of command and presents all new clinic policies to CU Medicine’s Policy and Procedure Committee. Implements standardized workflows and adapts practice team accordingly.
- Continuously reviews and adjusts business and clinical operations in order to maximize workflow efficiency, staff productivity, and patient access.
- Monitors usage and oversees the working order and use of stock supplies.
- In collaboration with other CU practices, supports the Orthopedic physicians/APPs at satellite locations as applicable.
- Regularly assesses accessibility and efficiency of triage operations and adjust processes accordingly.
- Regularly assesses front desk operations (reception, registration, scheduling, co-pays, etc.) for accuracy and efficiency and adjusts processes accordingly.
- Reviews EPIC processes for opportunities for improvement among physicians and staff; securing necessary assistance (training, optimization, billing, coding, etc.) to address issues.
- Regularly monitors phones statistics and performance to identify opportunities for improvement and implements action plans as necessary
- Routinely monitors wait times (patient access, time-to-appointment, exam room, waiting room, etc.) and develops plans to address issues with Medical Director, faculty and staff.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies (CDPHE, CMS, etc.)
- Develops a Quality Improvement (QI) plan for the practice and reports on the components at least quarterly.
- Critically analyzes QI data and formulates action plans as needed each quarter.
- Completes all QI audits and ensures that audits are turned in on time.
- Utilizes appropriate benchmarks to assess performance and stimulate change when necessary.
- Ensures staff knowledge and participation in QI activities.
- Regularly reviews patient satisfaction data and addresses a minimum of two areas per fiscal year for targeted and significant improvements.
- Ensures that the service expectations of both internal and external customers are met and/or exceeded.
- In collaboration with HR, ambulatory leadership, and with physician input, is the final decision maker for all staff hires into the practice.
- In collaboration with HR, ambulatory leadership, and with physician input, is the final decision maker for all terminations or high-level disciplinary measures.
- Collaborates with Medical Director on professional performance appraisals for employees.
- Assures completion of organizational and site-specific annual staff competencies, seeking input from appropriate resources when needed to assess the professional’s business and/or clinical competence.
- Encourages and supports professional growth and/or staff activities that directly relate to the developmental needs of the practice and staff.
- Serves as a role model, mentor, and professional colleague for other members of the management team by lending support and sharing opportunities for success.
- Cultivates and environment where physicians and support staff work together as a team to improve practice operations.
- Reviews turnover statistics and regularly solicits feedback from staff and physicians on job satisfaction and addresses issues accordingly.
- Develops action plans to address priority issues in employee surveys.
- Participates in strategic planning for the practice and the division.
- Coordinates the implementation and integration of new programs and physicians in the practice.
- Plans and/or participates in activities in the community as appropriate.
- Suggests opportunities for expansion based on patient population needs, physician referrals or community access.
- Participates in expediting patient care as necessary.
- Expresses empathy in patient interactions and focuses on the needs of the patient, staff, providers, practice and organization simultaneously.
- Promptly addresses patient complaints and other patient-related issues.
- Serves as a champion for patient safety.
- Communicates in a competent and effective manner to meet patient and/or family needs and regulatory or organizational requirements.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team, the patient, and family to promote efficient patient care.
- Serves as a mentor and preceptor for new staff and as a constant resource to all staff.
- Ensures that practice facility meets regulatory and infection control standards.
- Works with appropriate department or supplier of services when facility services are interrupted.
- Works with contractor(s) for maintenance of the facility.
- Ensures that safety policies and procedures are followed by all personnel at the facility.
- Complex project management
- Data collection, evaluation, management and analysis
- Analyze and select appropriate data and analytics to present to the department/division
- As assigned
- Bachelor of Science in Business, Healthcare Administration, Nursing or related field
- Five (5) years of job-related/clinic experience
- Three (3) years clinic management experience
- Prior experience managing budgets, purchasing, and/or accounting
- Master’s Degree in Business, Healthcare Administration, or Nursing Administration
- Practice management experience in Orthopedics
- Ambulatory quality improvement (QI) experience
- Experience in use of registry data and quality systems
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking
- Licensure /Certifications:
- Registered Nurse (RN), State of Colorado
- Certified Medical Practice Executive (CPME)
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels, to include physicians, leadership, and staff within the various affiliate organizations (UCH, Children’s Colorado, CU Medicine, CU SOM)
- Ability to work within large, complex healthcare systems
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to compile complex reports and develop presentations
- Ability to compose letters and memorandums
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
- Ability to function independently and manage own time and work tasks
- Ability to lead work teams
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and establish direction
- Ability to organize workflow
- Ability to perform basic filing, office procedures and word processing
- Ability to plan, coordinate and develop multiple projects
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Skilled job requiring high level of adaptability and interpersonal skills
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jun 3, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing